[SOLVED] Can I have a 4GB RAM and a 8 GB ram together in a Laptop?

Nov 12, 2021
I have a HP Pavilion g6[My dad's first laptop so i want to keep it close to me]
it has a max limit of 16 GB
an i5-3230m
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Ihave another pc thats a high end but i didnt know i can do this or not this laptop is pretty slow and i would love to give this laptop back to him as a smooth laptop

Solution
Yes, but be careful. HP limits exactly which RAM modules you can use in their BIOS, so you will probably find the cheapest of the cheap RAM modules don't actually work in it.

HP used Crucial memory in their laptops when they were making the G6, so any Crucial module is likely to work perfectly. Crucial are pretty good value as well.

Honestly, a single 8GB DDR3 Laptop-style module is so cheap, you might as well buy two to get it to 16GB.
I have a HP Pavilion g6[My dad's first laptop so i want to keep it close to me]
it has a max limit of 16 GB
an i5-3230m
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Ihave another pc thats a high end but i didnt know i can do this or not this laptop is pretty slow and i would love to give this laptop back to him as a smooth laptop
Yes as long as only capacity is different and everything else is identical.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yes, but be careful. HP limits exactly which RAM modules you can use in their BIOS, so you will probably find the cheapest of the cheap RAM modules don't actually work in it.

HP used Crucial memory in their laptops when they were making the G6, so any Crucial module is likely to work perfectly. Crucial are pretty good value as well.

Honestly, a single 8GB DDR3 Laptop-style module is so cheap, you might as well buy two to get it to 16GB.

Solution