[SOLVED] Can I have a decent experience in windows 10 with this laptop?

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
So, I have this old laptop of with a pentium t4300 and an integrated gpu. right now it has a 5400rpm 500gb hdd, but I want to replace that with an ssd. also it has 4gb ram, would changing to 8gb have any effects? also how bottlenecked would i be by the pentium t4300? thx in advance.

Solution
What antivirus do you use?
Windows defender is free, efficient and does the job.
I highly recommend it.
You can control when a virus scan is done.
The comprehensive initial scan does take a while.
With a ssd, it will be cpu limited.
After that, a quick scan is sufficient and you can determine when/if it is done.
I work as a tech in an area that's not particularly rich, so I've seen people running Windows 10 on older systems of the sort. It'll suffice for basic tasks but don't expect lightning quick response in any area.

To give a better answer it'd help to know how you intend to use the system.

In general, the good news is it won't be markedly slower than with any Microsoft OS from Vista on, as the pace of OS advances bogging down a system has leveled off to a great extent. As long as driver support is there, yuo won't lose much with 10 as opposed to 7 or other OS. As to drivers, there probably isn't official support from the laptop manufacturer for newer Windows OSes. Windows 10 will do a lot of work to automatically update all available drivers once it connects to the internet though. I've seen laptops in this age range automatically install graphics and network drivers. Generic windows drivers will operate audio and the touchpad if Windows doesn't update those while things like a card reader or manufacturer specific system drivers might require some hunting.

I have turned even lesser laptops to a decent status by replacing the HDD with a ssd.
The result is magical.
My method of choice is to replace with a samsung ssd and use the samsung ssd migration app to do the move.
Since you may not have a second sata port available, you use a usb to sata adapter cable($10 or so) to do the move.

As to ram, cpu-Z will identify your ram specs and what slots you have available.
8gb is a good idea, but only if you are using a 64 gb version of windows.
32 bit is limited to 4gb.
If a second slot is available, buy a stick that matches as to speed, voltage, capacity.
Look at the ram upgrade app from crucial or kingston and enter the make/model of your laptop.
You should get a list of supported upgrades.

As to windows 10, you may not find old laptop drivers for 10 if the laptop never had a windows 10 option.
That said windows 7 drivers usually work.
It is the keyboard drivers and battery management apps that is mostly at risk as an issue.
I would not do w10 without the 8gb upgrade.
I would not try to upgrade unless there was some particular feature of windows 10 that you want.

Last edited:

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
I forgot to mention that the laptop already had windows 10 installed. Thx for the tips regarding the ram. Though i was planning on just replacing the hdd and starting from scratch. I don't have any data worth keeping on the laptop. In that case it would as simple as replacing the 2.5" hdd with an ssd right?

I forgot to mention that the laptop already had windows 10 installed. Thx for the tips regarding the ram. Though i was planning on just replacing the hdd and starting from scratch. I don't have any data worth keeping on the laptop. In that case it would as simple as replacing the 2.5" hdd with an ssd right?
One issue is drivers, particularly drivers.
Laptop keyboards are a bit unique.
Among other things, they have touchpads or red buttons for cursor movement.
The function of keys will be unique to the laptop. Increasing/decreasing screen brightness, for example.
The driver for them will be unique to the laptop.
Windows will have a generic stock driver but all of the keyboard functions may not work.

Another issue may be finding the drivers/software for battery/power management.

Your difficulty may be in finding an appropriate set of drivers more than the simple reinstallation of windows.

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
I intend to use the system for things such as googling stuff, maybe some youtube, and for playing movies to my tv. I think the laptop is good enough for that even now, as I am writing this reply on it right now. It is a little slow especially in the boot times so I would like to fix that, and ssd should do the job. Also maybe do a clean install of windows, and probably disable antivirus or atleast the automatic scanning (right now antimalware service executable takes up to 40% of my cpu...).

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
I seem to have run into a bit of a problem here. The RAM is DDR2. Now DDR2 is very hard to come by where I live. And I don't even know if there are DDR2 modules over 2gb... So It seems I am stuck with 4 gb. Now i have had the chance to work on a pc with 4gb ram + ssd + phenom 2 cpu. It worked pretty smoothly, it even ran photoshop well (although it had a discrete gpu).

What antivirus do you use?
Windows defender is free, efficient and does the job.
I highly recommend it.
You can control when a virus scan is done.
The comprehensive initial scan does take a while.
With a ssd, it will be cpu limited.
After that, a quick scan is sufficient and you can determine when/if it is done.

Solution
What is the make/model of your laptop?
DDR2 laptop memory does come in a 2 x 4gb kit.
Older laptops did not use soldered ram so an upgrade should be possible.
Likely, you now have two 2gb sticks.
CPU-Z should identify your ram slots and what you have installed.
If you have access to ebay, you should be able to find a reasonable kit.