[SOLVED] Can I have two internet services connected to one router?

Gunslinger1121

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
I live in a rural area and have a choice between fixed wireless internet and DSL. DSL gets lower ping for gaming but is about 800 kb or up to 1mg download speed while it's the opposite effect for fixed wireless (bad ping better download speeds)I'd like to be able to do both playing games and watch streams, movies, youtube, etc. The only game I'd be playing online is classic WoW which I think requires a little over 1mb download speed so that also might be a problem. Better yet if I it would be possible to connect both internets together and use the latency from one and the download speed from the other. I don't know how it all works tho any response to this would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
It is not a simple topic. It requires a fairly good understanding of concepts like DNS and IP routing.

If you want a video maybe find one for a DUAL WAN router. I have never looked, way to many self declared "experts" on youtube that just parrot someone else work but know nothing themselves.

The manuals for these routers should be available online.

You will pretty much want 1 connection set as the default for all traffic and then have a list of exceptions that use the other connection. It tends to be rather tedious to keep work if you have a large number of sites. BUT if you really want to do it these type of routers can work.

Now what you can also do is connect the second router to the first on the lan and set the...

kanewolf

Titan
I live in a rural area and have a choice between fixed wireless internet and DSL. DSL gets lower ping for gaming but is about 800 kb or up to 1mg download speed while it's the opposite effect for fixed wireless (bad ping better download speeds)I'd like to be able to do both playing games and watch streams, movies, youtube, etc. The only game I'd be playing online is classic WoW which I think requires a little over 1mb download speed so that also might be a problem. Better yet if I it would be possible to connect both internets together and use the latency from one and the download speed from the other. I don't know how it all works tho any response to this would be much appreciated.
You can connect two internet sources to some routers. Usually for a fail-over configuration. Some expensive routers can even load balance two internet providers.
BUT, you can't have the best of both or your services "combined" . You can setup routes to use specific paths, if you know what IP your WoW server is for example. But none of this is trivial to configure.

Gunslinger1121

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
You can connect two internet sources to some routers. Usually for a fail-over configuration. Some expensive routers can even load balance two internet providers.
BUT, you can't have the best of both or your services "combined" . You can setup routes to use specific paths, if you know what IP your WoW server is for example. But none of this is trivial to configure.
So a load balancing router can't balance one ISP for latency and the other ISP for download speed?

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019

WoW and most games need much less download and upload speed that most might think. What matters is the ping. Because of a fault from the my IPS, i could get max around 200-250 kb/s down for some months, but WoW was not a problem, ping was around 100.

How bad is the latency that you would get with only the fixed wireless connection?

Last edited:

Gunslinger1121

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
how about using one isp for gaming and the other for watching streams instead of combining them? Would that be something I could easily setup on a dual wan load balancing router?

Feb 13, 2019
how about using one isp for gaming and the other for watching streams instead of combining them? Would that be something I could easily setup on a dual wan load balancing router?

I have the Linksys LRT224. It supports this. You can bind certain traffic to a specific WAN port using a rule that matches a source IP address range, destination IP address range, and port range. The trick is to assign your gaming machine a static IP on your LAN and forward game specific ports to it so that it has an open NAT. Use that static IP and the known ports and match a destination of 1.1.1.1 to 255.255.255.255 (which means everything on the internet) to create the rule. This is called sticky balance on the LRT224. I'm sure other dual WAN routers have a similar feature.

kanewolf

Titan
I have the Linksys LRT224. It supports this. You can bind certain traffic to a specific WAN port using a rule that matches a source IP address range, destination IP address range, and port range. The trick is to assign your gaming machine a static IP on your LAN and forward game specific ports to it so that it has an open NAT. Use that static IP and the known ports and match a destination of 1.1.1.1 to 255.255.255.255 (which means everything on the internet) to create the rule. This is called sticky balance on the LRT224. I'm sure other dual WAN routers have a similar feature.
Yes if he has different devices then he could use a source IP routing. But Youtube through ISP1 to PC1 and WoW server through ISP2 to PC1 is much more difficult. Then you have to use destination routing and since most things are moved around by DNS the routing becomes difficult.

Gunslinger1121

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
Yes if he has different devices then he could use a source IP routing. But Youtube through ISP1 to PC1 and WoW server through ISP2 to PC1 is much more difficult. Then you have to use destination routing and since most things are moved around by DNS the routing becomes difficult.
yeah I'd like to use the DSL specifically for gaming and the fixed wireless internet specifically for downloading/streaming on the same PC. Maybe if it's too complicated like you say I'll have to find another solution like just using one internet at a time and plugging in the other one when I wanna game or something lol. But if there's any good guides/videos that explain how to do exactly what I'm talking about please share with me I couldn't really find anything myself. And thanks for all of the help!

It is not a simple topic. It requires a fairly good understanding of concepts like DNS and IP routing.

If you want a video maybe find one for a DUAL WAN router. I have never looked, way to many self declared "experts" on youtube that just parrot someone else work but know nothing themselves.

You will pretty much want 1 connection set as the default for all traffic and then have a list of exceptions that use the other connection. It tends to be rather tedious to keep work if you have a large number of sites. BUT if you really want to do it these type of routers can work.

Now what you can also do is connect the second router to the first on the lan and set the ip to say 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP. You would leave all your default traffic go to 192.168.1.1. You would then use the ROUTE ADD command on your pc to put in a list of ip addresses you want to use the 192.168.1.2 router.
This is not really a option for something like a phone but if you just have a single pc it can be made to work. It is pretty much the same list of ip addresses you would have to put into a dual wan router.

Solution

Gunslinger1121

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015

Now what you can also do is connect the second router to the first on the lan and set the ip to say 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP. You would leave all your default traffic go to 192.168.1.1. You would then use the ROUTE ADD command on your pc to put in a list of ip addresses you want to use the 192.168.1.2 router.
This is not really a option for something like a phone but if you just have a single pc it can be made to work. It is pretty much the same list of ip addresses you would have to put into a dual wan router.
Your idea of connecting one router to the other in the lan port sounds really good. So I let one router handle all of the traffic except for the IP addresses I put into the other router. Where would I get IP addresses for websites or online games? I'd think adding the IP for games would be easier since there's fewer games I play but maybe I can only do that for websites?

Although you it will be a lot of trial and error you can see all the open connections in the resource monitor. You may have to lookup some of the IP addresses since windows uses the names sometimes. The brute force method that works it to run wireshark and capture traffic and then run a report to give you a list of ip