can i have two os

Solution
It will work just fine. Add the SSD, install 8 and the next time you boot you'll get a screen with the option to boot into either 7 or 8.1
Yes. Has Windows already been installed on one or both drives? A dual-boot system is typically set up so that you get a choice of which OS to boot on each startup. If you're adding a new drive and will install a new OS on that, the more recently installed copy of Windows will see the other version of Windows on the other drive and add it to it's boot menu.

USAFRet

Titan

8.1 will see the existing Win 7. At boot, you'll have a choice which to boot from.
This is the only scenario in which it is advisable to have the other drive connected while you do the OS install.

Be very, very careful that you select the correct drive when you do Win 8.1. Select the wrong drive or partition, and there is little chance of full recovery.

USAFRet

Titan

With a whole new PC, you'll have to reinstall Win7 anyway. With a major hardware change, it is rare that an old HDD with an old Win7 install actually works.

Put the HDD in
Install Win 7
Connect the SSD
Install Win 8

Proceed on with installing whatever you want, for whichever OS.

USAFRet

Titan

If you're just going to use 8.1, only install it once. You do not want it on both drives.
If you want to dual boot 7 as well, in a new system, it really needs to be reinstalled.

dale2468

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
how do i uninstall windows 7 from my hdd ,,, all i wont for my hdd is to be store big applications and files or less important games,,and for the ssd to store OS and top games

USAFRet

Titan

OK.
Assuming you have all your install disks, files, serial numbers, etc...

Build this new PC, with only the SSD
Install whichever OS you want. 7 or 8.1
Do all the updates, drivers, etc
Once everything is verified working, verify the boot order is SSD only
Connect the HDD
Delete any and all partitions on it
Install your games and applications where you want.

dale2468

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
thank you USAFRet

this is my full build im buying for my gaming pc does it need any thing different or changed

cpu--i54670k
ram--8gb of ramsnipergskill
gpu--evga gtx 780ti superclocked
motherboard-- asus maximus hero
cooler--Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
ssd--SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250gb
psu--CORSAIR AX series AX760

It's all compatible, and it looks like a nice system.