Question Can I hook up surround sound system to a amplifier?

Aug 16, 2019
So I have a blu-ray player with 5.1 surround sound system. It's quality is good enough for me. the bluray i can't hook up to pc directly and I can't use a 3.5 cable. I have to cast to TV in order to use it, and it's getting old and turns off after a few hours and i have to turn on again, and that just accelerates.
So, can I use an amp? I don't see why not but idk much about sound systems. I'm gonna get a used one as I don't have the money to spend on a completely new everything.
Also, for reference could someone suggest something (any price just for reference).
Thank u <3.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That could be a yes and a no.

Probably would be most helpful if you posted a model number so we know what you are working with.

Insomuch as a "power amplifier", probably not without taking other steps. If you have a line level output, optical out, etc. you could probably hook it to a receiver.
In my local area good deals can be found on receivers and such on CL.

Ya post the exact make/model, but from your description, sounds like one of those all-in-one boxes, which are very limited and inflexible. To use an external amplifier, and it has to be multi-channel, your current box will need to have PRE-OUTS, this is not a common feature.

Honestly if you own a multi-channel power amplifier, you can afford to dump that old box and rebuild with a nice modern AVR.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was unable to find a manual for this unit on the manufacturers website, but just the reading I did indicates it's a discontinued all in one system.
It states that it has an HDMI output, so, theoretically you could possibly hook it as a source to another 5.1 receiver.
I could not find whether the speakers are on standard speaker wire or if they are on a proprietary cable. You might be able to utilize them for the new receiver if they use standard cables.

Given pricing on even new bluray, and a used receiver, I would likely follow up about the speakers being able to be utilized, or simply source a whole new (to you) used system off Craigslist or the like.

Edit- found the manual. Your speakers all operate on standard speaker cable. The sub is passive, meaning it was powered from the base unit. It is rare to find a receiver that offers this outside "all in one" so you might consider a cheapo amplifier to make that work with existing.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
They are "standard" speaker wire with a user friendly color by numbers system for inserting the right speaker into the right output on the all in one. As small gauge at that appears to be you may benefit from better wire, but if nothing else cut the ends off.