[SOLVED] Can i host a minecraft server throught vpn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamchaloupka8

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
So basically, I tried hosting a minecraft server on my old rig, on my connection. I had no problems opening ports, installing the server, joining throught my main rig. But then i found out that my ip is dynamic, and it would not be possible to host it on for everyone of my friends. I looked at my providers price list and he just wants way too much money for static ip. So i am wondering, what if i would pay for "PRO" upgrade on WindScribe, with static ip and host it there, would it be possible ?

Solution
Answering your question, yes you can use VPN to open a port you can either use Open VPN + portmapper or ngrok but I wouldn't in your case, because you already have the ability to port forwarding. I believe you can use https://www.noip.com/ create a sub-domain and download there updater software, it'll update the IP of the sub-domain every 5 minutes in case it changed.

Goodluck!

adamchaloupka8

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Ok, I did a bit of research and i think i know how to do it but there is still one problem. When i go to DDNS on my router everything is fine, but i got only 2 providers to choose from. Is there an option to add some more providers?
Thanks for the help so far 👌.

HyperBeat

Reputable
Mar 1, 2019
Answering your question, yes you can use VPN to open a port you can either use Open VPN + portmapper or ngrok but I wouldn't in your case, because you already have the ability to port forwarding. I believe you can use https://www.noip.com/ create a sub-domain and download there updater software, it'll update the IP of the sub-domain every 5 minutes in case it changed.

Goodluck!

Reactions: adamchaloupka8
Solution
Not sure the support for ddns is very inconsistent between routers. Generally if they have only a limited number of providers you can do little to change it. It is not like you can load apps into a router firmware.

You might look at one of the programs that run on PC. Since you have a server running it should also be able to run the ddns function.

adamchaloupka8

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018

Goodluck!
Ok, ill take a look at it, thank you :)

adamchaloupka8

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Not sure the support for ddns is very inconsistent between routers. Generally if they have only a limited number of providers you can do little to change it. It is not like you can load apps into a router firmware.

You might look at one of the programs that run on PC. Since you have a server running it should also be able to run the ddns function.
Alright, well my router only has 2 options, so ill take a look at the programs then, thanks for answering. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.