[SOLVED] Can I image a drive that has no OS?

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Kind of a dum dum question but I'm wondering if I could image a data/game drive using Macrium Reflect with no issues to a backup external drive and also restore that drive image with no issues? I have been using macrium reflect to image my OS drive but never my data drive

Solution
Kind of a dum dum question but I'm wondering if I could image a data/game drive using Macrium Reflect with no issues to a backup external drive and also restore that drive image with no issues? I have been using macrium reflect to image my OS drive but never my data drive
Yes.

I do this with all 6 of my drives.
OS and the other 5.

This is the basis for my whole backup routine.
Short answer : Yes.

Long answer (and very dependent of the choice of software to use) : Yes, but if the existing file system have any errors, those errors may be present on the new hdd. Also when using some imaging tools, you should use a hdd with same capacity as the old one. Some tools are capable to fit (grow) the partition to consume the whole disk. I know that at least Clonezilla and Macrum refllect have such feature when imaging between disk to disk.

My personal choice in this case would be just copying the files between the old hdd to the new hdd. That way you can format a clean file system to begin with, and thus reducing the risk of introduce errors or cluttered file systems into your new hard drive.

[edit]
I had to correct some obvious errors pointed out later down the thread.

Last edited:

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Short answer : Yes.

Long answer: Yes, but if the existing file system have any errors, those errors will be present on the new hdd. Also when using imaging tools, you should use a hdd with same capacity as the old one. I guess the more advanced tools are capable to fit (grow) the partition to consume the whole disk. I know that at least Clonezilla have such feature when imaging disk to disk.

Because of this limiatations and probable source of errors upon restore partitions, I'd rather just copying the files between the old hdd to the new hdd. That way you can format a clean file system to begin with, and thus reducing the risk of introduce errors or cluttered file systems into your new hard drive.
AFAIK, there are no file errors (noticeable or crucial ones at least) on any of my drives. Will probably end up just doing a manual and an image backup just to be safe

USAFRet

Titan
Yes.

I do this with all 6 of my drives.
OS and the other 5.

This is the basis for my whole backup routine.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Also when using imaging tools, you should use a hdd with same capacity as the old one.
No.

With Macrium, an Image results in a single file.

I have all 6 of my drives, a Full and 30 days worth of Incremental, in a single folder tree on my NAS.

Upon extraction/recovery, you can manipulate the resulting partition size to meet the new drive.