[SOLVED] Can I increase gaming performance if I tweak windows 10?

Solution
Most of the stuff that comes with the OS already uses very little time on the CPU. If you have a sufficiently powerful enough CPU, say a modern i3 or Ryzen 3, I would argue that the time these default programs and services spend on the CPU impacts the performance of the computer in a negligible way. In other words: you have to have a potato PC for this stuff to matter. Even if this stuff totals like <1% of the CPU time when idling, if whatever you're playing can consume the rest of the CPU time, then is it really worth tweaking your OS, which can create potential issues if you dig in deep enough, for <1% extra performance?

Also note that most games don't see a performance benefit beyond 6-8 threads. And eSports games rely heavily on...
You can disable Game Mode and Xbox Game bar in windows settings.
You can set your power plan to high performance.
You can disable useless start-up programs.
You can disable windows animations by typing "adjust the appearence and performance of windows" in the windows search bar and set it to "adjust for best performance". In the same place go into Advanced tab and set a custom page file size of 2x your installed RAM.
You can try Windows10Debloater.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
You can disable Game Mode and Xbox Game bar in windows settings.
You can set your power plan to high performance.
You can disable useless start-up programs.
You can disable windows animations by typing "adjust the appearence and performance of windows" in the windows search bar and set it to "adjust for best performance". In the same place go into Advanced tab and set a custom page file size of 2x your installed RAM.
You can try Windows10Debloater.
I don't think I'll need to create page file as my games only use 8 GB of the total 12 GBs of RAM.

Most of the stuff that comes with the OS already uses very little time on the CPU. If you have a sufficiently powerful enough CPU, say a modern i3 or Ryzen 3, I would argue that the time these default programs and services spend on the CPU impacts the performance of the computer in a negligible way. In other words: you have to have a potato PC for this stuff to matter. Even if this stuff totals like <1% of the CPU time when idling, if whatever you're playing can consume the rest of the CPU time, then is it really worth tweaking your OS, which can create potential issues if you dig in deep enough, for <1% extra performance?

Also note that most games don't see a performance benefit beyond 6-8 threads. And eSports games rely heavily on single-core performance anyway. So if you have a 6C/12T CPU, tweaking Windows is going to do almost nothing.

I would argue that if something in Windows itself is being hammered when it normally isn't, then it's something either you installed or there's something wrong with the hardware.

EDIT: It's like 4 years old now, but something to look at https://linustechtips.com/blogs/ent...s-10-lean-do-anything-for-gaming-performance/

Solution