[SOLVED] Can I install a BIOS Update without Chipset driver?

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
I have a B450M Motherboard from Gigabyte, I understand I have to update the BIOS to use amd 3rd Gen Ryzen cpus on it (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios ), but it says that I must have the chipset driver updated to a specific version to install the BIOS, but to install the chipset driver do I need an OS?

If I need an OS, does that mean that I need an AMD Ryzen gen gen 1/2 cpu to update the chipset and BIOS, and then once that's done, only then can I use a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU?

Is there anyway for me to update the BIOS via Q-Flash and also update the chipset driver without entering the with another Ryzen gen 1/2 cpu OS?

Or are chipset drivers only something to worry about if you want to use APU's?

Really need help with this.

Solution
So even if I could manage to update the BIOS with the lack of display using Q-Flash the issue itself is that it doesn't een get to BIOS, not that it does not have a display?
Correct, it cannot even POST and reach the BIOS. So even if you knew the exact sequence of buttons to press to update the BIOS with no display, it still wouldn't work to update the BIOS.

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
I have a B450M Motherboard from Gigabyte, I understand I have to update the BIOS to use amd 3rd Gen Ryzen cpus on it (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios ), but it says that I must have the chipset driver updated to a specific version to install the BIOS, but to install the chipset driver do I need an OS?

If I need an OS, does that mean that I need an AMD Ryzen gen gen 1/2 cpu to update the chipset and BIOS, and then once that's done, only then can I use a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU?

Is there anyway for me to update the BIOS via Q-Flash and also update the chipset driver without entering the with another Ryzen gen 1/2 cpu OS?

Or are chipset drivers only something to worry about if you want to use APU's?

Really need help with this.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
but it says that I must have the chipset driver updated to a specific version to install the BIOS, but to install the chipset driver do I need an OS?
This only applies to people who already have Windows+driver installed, that they should update the driver before updating BIOS. You don't need to have windows/drivers installed before you update the BIOS.

Depending on what BIOS the board shipped with, you may need a Ryzen 1k/2k processor to update the BIOS before it'll work with a Ryzen 3k CPU.

Duplicate thread:https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-i-install-a-bios-update-without-chipset-driver.3526305/

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
This only applies to people who already have Windows+driver installed, that they should update the driver before updating BIOS. You don't need to have windows/drivers installed before you update the BIOS.

Depending on what BIOS the board shipped with, you may need a Ryzen 1k/2k processor to update the BIOS before it'll work with a Ryzen 3k CPU.

Duplicate thread:https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-i-install-a-bios-update-without-chipset-driver.3526305/
Well, currently the PC only displays a black screen when turned on, so I cannot see what BIOS version I'm on... this means that I will need a ryzen gen 2 cpu regardless..?

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate thread I did not know what subforum this belonged in

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well, currently the PC only displays a black screen when turned on, so I cannot see what BIOS version I'm on... this means that I will need a ryzen gen 2 cpu regardless..?

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate thread I did not know what subforum this belonged in
What CPU and graphics card do you have? Is the display connected to the motherboard or the graphics card?

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
What CPU and graphics card do you have? Is the display connected to the motherboard or the graphics card?

It is a GTX 770 and the new cpu is a Ryzen 3700X, the display is connected to the graphics card.

The gpu worked fine before, I had an intel i5 3570, what I did was, unplug everything, put a B450M gigabyte motherboard, got DDR4 ram and placed it (16GB 3600MHz XMP) and the new cpui ofc.

I also plugged in the HDD SATA cable, fans, audio, pwrswt, etc.

But you're saying in theory it should go at least into BIOS right? It should not be in a black screen?

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
No, you'll need an older CPU (1000/2000 series) installed in order to update the BIOS. You could try finding a local computer shop to do it for you.
darn... that really sucks... It seems only Q-Flash + has the function of being able to update the bios with no cpu...

So even if I could manage to update the BIOS with the lack of display using Q-Flash the issue itself is that it doesn't een get to BIOS, not that it does not have a display?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Correct, it cannot even POST and reach the BIOS. So even if you knew the exact sequence of buttons to press to update the BIOS with no display, it still wouldn't work to update the BIOS.

Solution