Can i install a second hard drive with its own operating system im using sata

Rhonda_57

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I recently bought a 750GB internal hardrive that I installed in an external enclosure. I would like to install Windows
7 on to it. On the harddrive inside the machine I have WindowsXP, both harddrives are SATA. How do I install the os on the external drive without wiping out the internal drive?

Solution
Very easy. Safest way is to disconnect the internal drive so you can't mess it up. Just unplug the SATA cable from it. Then do a normal install.

Go into the BIOS and set the first boot device to be the hard drive NOT the DVD. If you set it to be the DVD then every time it reboots during setup it will restart setup. You only want to boot the DVD the first time. You should have an option when you first turn the computer on to hit a key to get a boot menu. Probably a function key or maybe escape. Use this option to boot from the DVD the first time.
If you can't figure this out then go ahead and set the DVD as the first boot device in the BIOS. After it reboots the first time go into the BIOS and change it. If you miss it and it starts...

jackddg22

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

I was never able to get win 7 to work off a external drive, good luck. Others here may be able to point you in the right direction.
Jack

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Very easy. Safest way is to disconnect the internal drive so you can't mess it up. Just unplug the SATA cable from it. Then do a normal install.

Go into the BIOS and set the first boot device to be the hard drive NOT the DVD. If you set it to be the DVD then every time it reboots during setup it will restart setup. You only want to boot the DVD the first time. You should have an option when you first turn the computer on to hit a key to get a boot menu. Probably a function key or maybe escape. Use this option to boot from the DVD the first time.
If you can't figure this out then go ahead and set the DVD as the first boot device in the BIOS. After it reboots the first time go into the BIOS and change it. If you miss it and it starts booting the DVD don't worry, just ctrl+alt+del and go into the BIOS and change it to the hard drive. It will continue on it's merry way.

When you are done with the install, just use that boot option key to select the drive you want. I have done this many times. All of my PCs have multiple boot drives.

By the way if you have not installed Win7 before it may or may not install from an IDE DVD drive. I had to use a USB drive on one of my PCs. Very easy to do and faster.

Good luck!!

Solution