Can I install an aftermarket CPU cooler without having to remove the motherboard to insert screws?

BlueStripe_99

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2013
So are there any aftermarket coolers which fit the stock holdings and dont need the extra screws and such at the back of the motherboard?

We're talking FX-8350: I thought the CPU cooler wasnt too bad but THE NOOIISSEEE!

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Yes, your case has a cpu cutout in the motherboard tray.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

You can go to newegg and look for aftermarket 80 mm fans or aftermarket 80 mm heatsink and fan that use the stock AMD retention bracket. That being said any cooler with an 80 mm fan will be loud. A 80 mm fan HAS to spin at a high rpm to do its job. Unlike a 120 mm or 140 mm fan which can spin slower and move a lot of air. So in short you will not find great success unless you are willing to take your board out of your build and get a cooler with a 120 mm or 140 mm fan..

BlueStripe_99

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2013

Cool! So it will be a click out, clean thermal paste, put on new thermal paste, click new one in process?

d_freshmaker

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

I ran across this because I want to do the same thing. I'm using an old case I had laying around, so removing the motherboard/wiring would be quite a pain. Did the TX3/TX4 work for you?