[SOLVED] Can i install an eGPU

Mar 15, 2020
I have the HP-Pavillon-all-in-one. Unfortunately it has a USB 3 but it is not thunderbolt.

For the express card, it has 3 ports. 1 is a 3rd gen that is occupied by a first gen wifi. The other ports are occupied by a memory card reader, and the Realtek Ethernet

My question is, can i move the wifi to the port of the card reader ( since i dont need it) and install my eGPU setup in the 3rd gen PCI port?

Solution
I've heard of people doing it with some adapter kits available but it can be temperamental in working. You will also be severely limited on the performance due to the wifi mostly likely being a PCIe X1 so even a low end card most likely will have some bandwidth issues.

You'll also need a power-supply just for the graphics card and I believe you have to get a graphics card that is powered by the PSU and not the PCIe slot.

As far as specific adapter I have no idea what;s good, youll have to wait for someone else or look around the forums for an answer to that. Personally I think these setups are more trouble then they are worth and even a low end gaming computer is a better investment.
I've heard of people doing it with some adapter kits available but it can be temperamental in working. You will also be severely limited on the performance due to the wifi mostly likely being a PCIe X1 so even a low end card most likely will have some bandwidth issues.

You'll also need a power-supply just for the graphics card and I believe you have to get a graphics card that is powered by the PSU and not the PCIe slot.

As far as specific adapter I have no idea what;s good, youll have to wait for someone else or look around the forums for an answer to that. Personally I think these setups are more trouble then they are worth and even a low end gaming computer is a better investment.

Solution
Mar 15, 2020

The slot is a m.2 A& E slot.

My understanding is that this is equivalent to a PCI 2.0

With this said, is the pursuit worthwhile or should I just drop it?

The slot is a m.2 A& E slot.

My understanding is that this is equivalent to a PCI 2.0

With this said, is the pursuit worthwhile or should I just drop it?

It can vary depending on the motherboard. However m.2 is a better bet because at best its faster then mini express at worst the same speed.

Again in my opinion these setups are not worth it. They can be a nightmare to get up and running and almost always have issues with connectivity. Not to mention you are basically making your laptop not portable since you will have to run a cable out of the laptops body.

You can get a Ryzen CPU, Mobo and RAM for around 200 USD, less if you look for used stuff. I would still suggest building a dedicated gaming computer.