Question Can I install another version of BIOS for my factory OC GPU?

ChuVoyKon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2019
As in title.
I have an MSI GTX 1070 Duke OC (factory overclocked). It used to run pretty well with no issues at all until recent driver updates (or because of windows updates?). I constantly have crashes even in games that I could play smoothly before.
I found a solution, using MSI Afterburner Curve feature to lower my maximum boost clock, from 1979 down to 1800 and below.
Is there a way that I can install another version of BIOS for my GPU to remove the OC from the factory?
Thanks in advance.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
If you wanna risk bricking your card in the current market situation, sure.

If you don't don't. Vbios flashing is something you do either as an extreme last resort or if you have other cards on the side you can use in case something goes wrong. Most of the time everything's fine, but there's always that possibility. You can install previous versions of the drivers, rollback to a previous windows update or use afterburner to underclock the card to artificially eliminate the factory oc. Flashing a vbios is not the solution for your problem.

EDIT I see you're already doing the downclock via software. So why risking flashing the card? Given there is even a non of version of the bios for your card to begin with.

ChuVoyKon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2019
If you wanna risk bricking your card in the current market situation, sure.

If you don't don't. Vbios flashing is something you do either as an extreme last resort or if you have other cards on the side you can use in case something goes wrong. Most of the time everything's fine, but there's always that possibility. You can install previous versions of the drivers, rollback to a previous windows update or use afterburner to underclock the card to artificially eliminate the factory oc. Flashing a vbios is not the solution for your problem.

EDIT I see you're already doing the downclock via software. So why risking flashing the card? Given there is even a non of version of the bios for your card to begin with.
Yeah, I just wanna make sure. I've been downclocking via Afterburner for a week and it's running fine and stable. I guess just as you said, there's no point in doing what I asked.