Can I install hyper 212 Evo without retention bracket?

Thornax22

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
So, I got a 4770 and a hyper 212 Evo. In order to install the hyper 212 backplate, I had to uninstall the original cpu retention bracket, but the problem is, the cpu retention bracket was screwed in directly into the old backplate, and the new hyper 212 backplate doesn't allow me to screw the retention bracket into it.
IVhiPui.jpg

3HR3Mnt.jpg

If I'm correct, the retention bracket only holds the cpu in place, so if I were to install the cooler to the backplate, and sandwich the cpu, would that be enough to hold the cpu properly, or is that too risky?

Solution
An OEM computer I am guessing.

Your method might work since the retention bracket won't compress. Still I wouldn't want the CPU to have any chance of wandering even slightly away from the pins.

Chances are good that the OEM bracket uses M3 screw threads (standard fine thread computer screw) You can go to a hardware store, get some long screws and washers and use the original backplate. Just have to be careful to tighten it down evenly without too much force.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
An OEM computer I am guessing.

Your method might work since the retention bracket won't compress. Still I wouldn't want the CPU to have any chance of wandering even slightly away from the pins.

Chances are good that the OEM bracket uses M3 screw threads (standard fine thread computer screw) You can go to a hardware store, get some long screws and washers and use the original backplate. Just have to be careful to tighten it down evenly without too much force.

Solution