[SOLVED] Can i install multiple disk images on the same Seagate 4 t SSD ?

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi

There are images from my old hhd (paragon) on it already.
i just installed a new samsung 860 ssd with clean win10 on it.
i wish to do as recommended which is i did the @how to cleanup windows 10@ article.

now i want to do an image of the ssd and after that i will install an anti win10 spy and do another image so i can quickly go to those points.

FIRST question can i have multiple images on the same seagate comming from hhd , and ssd both from linux and windows or they will mess each other up?

Second question, since i intend to try linux in 1 year, i would prefere to use a freeware image creator that works fine on both liux ans windows , do you have something to suggest in that regard? tx

Solution
in this case when i have a external ssd with a n image and a hdd empty,
once plugged, i imagine i have to use a aid lik dvd to alternative start the recoverying process? how to create such a thing? tx
Rescue USB (or DVD)

In the Macrium client, Other Tasks-Create Rescue Media.
Boot from that to start the recovery process.

I have one sitting in the bottom of my PC case, so it won't get lost.

RealBeast

Titan
I would use Macrium Reflect, and you can store as many images as will fit on a backup drive. I image a number of systems (not clone but backup image) and then do periodic differential backups to keep a pretty current version available for each until I do a new complete backup. This all happens late at night on a schedule that I do not have to be involved with other than setting it up to start. And I find Macrium very reliable and have reimaged several drives using it so I know that it works well.

You can read about incremental v. differential backups HERE, although it sounds like you will want to start with multiple complete backups for the various systems.

Reactions: CountMike

USAFRet

Titan
hi

There are images from my old hhd (paragon) on it already.
i just installed a new samsung 860 ssd with clean win10 on it.
i wish to do as recommended which is i did the @how to cleanup windows 10@ article.

now i want to do an image of the ssd and after that i will install an anti win10 spy and do another image so i can quickly go to those points.

FIRST question can i have multiple images on the same seagate comming from hhd , and ssd both from linux and windows or they will mess each other up?

Second question, since i intend to try linux in 1 year, i would prefere to use a freeware image creator that works fine on both liux ans windows , do you have something to suggest in that regard? tx
Absolutely.

My nightly backup routine to the NAS stores individual images from each system and each drive. All in the same folder tree, with a subfolder for each system and then a sub for each physical drive.
Full/Incremental.

Each Macrium Image is a separate file, individually addressable.
That could easily be to your external drive vs my NAS. No difference.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
once plugged, i imagine i have to use a aid lik dvd to alternative start the recoverying process? how to create such a thing? tx

USAFRet

Titan
Rescue USB (or DVD)

In the Macrium client, Other Tasks-Create Rescue Media.
Boot from that to start the recovery process.

I have one sitting in the bottom of my PC case, so it won't get lost.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS