Can I install my laptop hard drive into the ssd bracket of my case for my new desktop?

hijackxd21

Proper
May 4, 2018
Hi, I am building my first pc and to save some money I am planning to use my laptop hard drive in my new desktop, but then I realized it doesn’t fit in the hard drive bay since it’s a 2.5 inch drive. However, that’s the exact size for the ssd bracket of my case, so can I install it in there? Will it affect anything? I have two of those brackets and since I bought a ssd to go with my build I can still use my ssd. Thanks for any help.

Solution

The physical drive, sure. That mount space is for a 2.5" drive, be it SSD or HDD.
You're saving maybe $50.

The OS and license on it? No.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Drives are pretty much the same physical dimensions. So it'll work. Laptop hdds are most normally 5400rpm. Windows will also be optimized for laptop battery savings, so will have all kinds of eco settings active, like sleep and hibernation, battery settings low power usage etc, really not good for a desktop. Pretty much requiring a full reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan

The physical drive, sure. That mount space is for a 2.5" drive, be it SSD or HDD.
You're saving maybe $50.

The OS and license on it? No.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS