Question Can I install my old C drive as a second drive on my new computer without causing problems

Aug 29, 2024
I'm getting a new pre-made computer (MSI) and am curious if I can remove my current computer's M.2 SSD C drive and install it in the new computer's extra M.2 slot without re-formatting it? To be clear, the new computer will come with Windows 11 and my current one has Windows 10 installed on the C drive. I don't want to boot from the older Win 10 drive, I just want to be able to install it as a second drive, copy docs and pics and stuff over to my new C drive, and then if everything is working reformat it. Will this cause any issues or confusion with booting the new Windows 11 drive? Pros/cons of doing this?

USAFRet

Titan
copy docs and pics and stuff over to my new C drive, and then if everything is working reformat it.
This is better done before decommissioning the old system.

Copy those personal files off to a flash drive or similar.
Or OneDrive, GoogleDrive.

Doing it the way you describe can be done, but you'll run into permissions issues.
Better to avoid that beforehand.

Mar 10, 2020
You could try networking the 2 pcs, simply copy the stuff off the old drive across your ad hoc network … verify you have everything you want and then wipe the old drive…. You only need to create a share on the old pc, put what you want in the shared folder and then pull it across.

Reactions: Duggus
Aug 29, 2024
MUCH easier to do it the way I describe.
AND, that gets you an actual second backup copy during this process. Instead of the one and only copy living on the drive from the old system.

"oops, I dropped it"
Oops indeed. That has NEVER happened to me. LOL. Thanks for the advice and the reminder. Speed is not the same as efficiency, and I need to keep that in mind.