[SOLVED] Can I install two operating systems on 1 PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree2017

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
I'm going to build a new computer and I was wondering if it was possible to instal Windows 8.1 and Mac OS X Yosemite on the same computer? Id assume id need two SSD drives 1 for each operating system but I don't know if that would even work! Can it be done? Any and all suggestions are welcome THANK YOU!

Solution
Yes, it can absolutely be done - it's called dual booting. You only need two partitions, not two drives. I currently boot windows 8.1, Debian, and Windows 7 with softxpand all from one drive.

That being said, be very careful with Mac OS; it's incredibly picky. You have to have a computer that uses parts that it will play nicely with, and I also believe you have to have a program called 'boot camp' to make it let you dual boot. Not positive about that, as I don't use anything Apple, but another member will be able to fill you in on the details.
Yes, it can absolutely be done - it's called dual booting. You only need two partitions, not two drives. I currently boot windows 8.1, Debian, and Windows 7 with softxpand all from one drive.

That being said, be very careful with Mac OS; it's incredibly picky. You have to have a computer that uses parts that it will play nicely with, and I also believe you have to have a program called 'boot camp' to make it let you dual boot. Not positive about that, as I don't use anything Apple, but another member will be able to fill you in on the details.

Solution

Tree2017

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
I haven't decided yet I will most likely go with an OS that can accept games like battlefield 4 but I don't have any favorite operating system. To answer you question as where I would buy that's kind of up in the air also maybe (newegg,bestbuy,tigerdirect) Id say who ever has the best price. (ijack) just wondering if u had a suggestion?

I have no suggestion as to where you could buy a copy of OS X. None of the places that you mention can supply it.

As far as I am aware you can only buy OS X from Apple, and to do so you need a Mac computer. As others have suggested, you should forget OS X and look to install something like Linux instead. A Windows/Linux dual boot system is easy to set up, Linux will cost you nothing, and is supported on your proposed build.

Status
Not open for further replies.