Can I install win 10 without any initial OS?

RainOfPain125

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
I know that you can buy the Win 10 OS on a disc or a flash drive for 90$ or somewhere around there, but I do know that there is a free version of windows 10 for basically "Disabled" people. Would that file even work if I booted it up or anything like that? Or is the USB / Disc version special?

Really noob at this and just wanna knoe :/

USAFRet

Titan

You can create your very own USB or DVD install here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Install, and run it until you arrive at the realization that your software is just as important as the hardware in your shiny new PC.
At this point, you purchase a valid OS license.

lakimens

Honorable
^^^About that, I think you can go without activating it, and you'll have some limitations, but it'll cost $90 less.
The limitations are, a watermark saying "Activate Windows" on the bottom-right corner and when you go to Right Click > Personalize, everything's grayed out. I know, because this is my situation.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, I have a long running test of an unactivated Win 10 install in a VirtualMachine to test exactly this.
6 months now, no change.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
afik, they will let this go indefinitely

you can't change wallpaper, colors of taskbar and other customizations on all visuals of windows, other than that, it runs perfectly fine

the watermark saying activate windows can be seen while you play games :(

lakimens

Honorable
You can change the wallpaper, just not through Right Click > Personalize.
You can right click an image and set as background.
It's actually possible to personalize everything, there's tons of articles on the web, just need to use google.