[SOLVED] Problem adding drivers to iso image

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
I offline-added laptop-specific drivers to a windows 10 1703 image, but when I install the image in the laptop with a nvme drive, the drivers are gone. What is going on?

Solution
What about the drivers issue?
u probably forgot something to do, when u add driver
steps:

1) mount image (this will mount your windows installation - virtual drive)
Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:C:\test\images\install.wim /MountDir:C:\test\offline

2) add driver(s) (this will add drivers to virtual drive which is mounted)
Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:c:\drivers /Recurse

2b) if u have custom drivers which are not digitaly signed or have missing certificate
Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\drivers /Recurse /ForceUnsigned

3) check if your drivers were added
Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Get-Drivers

4) u have to save all changes u did (install.wim will get updated from mounted virtual drive)...
Whenever I've installed Windows 10, I've let it do the install and put in the drivers it gets from Microsoft. After that, if I need to install a different driver, I can. It's pretty rare to have to do that though, I think multi-function printers are the only ones I've had to install after the Windows install finishes.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Whenever I've installed Windows 10, I've let it do the install and put in the drivers it gets from Microsoft. After that, if I need to install a different driver, I can. It's pretty rare to have to do that though, I think multi-function printers are the only ones I've had to install after the Windows install finishes.
yes, but why are the drivers suddenly....just gone? I also tried installing drivers using windows update, its also not working either, it wont install, lets say, the display adapters like intel hd graphics 620 or something

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Probably.

But why a 3 year old version that will:
  1. Report itself as outdated
  2. Update itself to v1909 almost immediately.
Im used to using a 1703 and its simpler than the new ones. I tried installing it with pre-injected drivers but after installation, the drivers are GONE. What is going on?

USAFRet

Titan
Im used to using a 1703 and its simpler than the new ones. I tried installing it with pre-injected drivers but after installation, the drivers are GONE. What is going on?
What specific differences do you see between 1703 and the current v1909?

Avoiding version updates also avoids security updates. Which is one of the fastest ways to letting your system get compromised.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
What specific differences do you see between 1703 and the current v1909?

Avoiding version updates also avoids security updates. Which is one of the fastest ways to letting your system get compromised.
Ive been using 1703 for so long and the image size is not as large. Does 1703 support NVME ssd ?

USAFRet

Titan
Ive been using 1703 for so long and the image size is not as large. Does 1703 support NVME ssd ?
'image size is not so large'.
The size of a Win 10 install has not significantly changed since it was released 5 years ago.

Does 1703 support NVMe drives?
Well, since people were installing v1703 on NVMe drives when it first came out....yes.

You really really need to update.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
'image size is not so large'.
The size of a Win 10 install has not significantly changed since it was released 5 years ago.

Does 1703 support NVMe drives?
Well, since people were installing v1703 on NVMe drives when it first came out....yes.

You really really need to update.
Why does the drivers of the laptop UN-installs themselves when I install 1703 ?

Apr 6, 2020
My install is 5 years old and I never managed to install windows 10 on my Z97M-Plus motherboards' M.2 slot on an evo pro samsung NVME SSD.

Had to use a PCIe adaptor to work.

USAFRet

Titan
My install is 5 years old and I never managed to install windows 10 on my Z97M-Plus motherboards' M.2 slot on an evo pro samsung NVME SSD.

Had to use a PCIe adaptor to work.
That's a limitation of the Z97 motherboard, not the Win 10 version.

My ASRock Z97 was the same way until a BIOS update.
Still PCIe x2 though. Which is why my NVMe drive is a secondary in a PCIe slot adapter.

Reactions: albertc30

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020

Still PCIe x2 though. Which is why my NVMe drive is a secondary in a PCIe slot adapter.
Why does the laptop uninstall the pre-injected drivers into the 1703 image after I install windows?

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
  1. No idea.
  2. Which 'drivers'?
  3. Where did the Win 10 install come from?
The Win 10 1703 is from the past, and it is a legit copy. The drivers are specific to the laptop, I use this command to add the drivers to the offline mounted windows image. "Dism /image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /driver:C:\test\drivers /recurse".

What about the drivers issue?
steps:

Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:C:\test\images\install.wim /MountDir:C:\test\offline

2b) if u have custom drivers which are not digitaly signed or have missing certificate
Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\drivers /Recurse /ForceUnsigned

4) u have to save all changes u did (install.wim will get updated from mounted virtual drive)
Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:C:\test\offline /Commit

as long all paths are correct (paths to install.wim and drivers) it should work

Reactions: wm3797
Solution

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
steps:

4) u have to save all changes u did (install.wim will get updated from mounted virtual drive)
Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:C:\test\offline /Commit

as long all paths are correct (paths to install.wim and drivers) it should work
I did all the steps, as you stated, and when windows FIRST boot, the drivers are nowhere to be found....as if its a FRESH image

Apr 6, 2020

So pointless really!

According to asus website a BIOS update should have rectified this. Hopefully it will work now. Why ad a M.2 slot on the motherboard if one can only use it's storage as secondary and not have an OS booting from there?

Thanks for answering my question and apologies as I somewhat feel I have hijacked the OP's post.

USAFRet

Titan
So pointless really!

According to asus website a BIOS update should have rectified this. Hopefully it will work now. Why ad a M.2 slot on the motherboard if one can only use it's storage as secondary and not have an OS booting from there?

Thanks for answering my question and apologies as I somewhat feel I have hijacked the OP's post.
Those boards came out on the cusp of NVMe drives appearing. They were still brand new, and expensive.

Reactions: albertc30

TRENDING THREADS