Question Can I install Windows 10 (DVD) on a newly built computer using an external drive?

Mar 31, 2023
I'm about to build a computer (no operating system yet), and I want to install Windows 10 with a DVD.

QUESTION: Will this work using an external DVD drive connected via USB? I'm wondering if the DVD drive will work/recognize the DVD once turning on the computer but BEFORE having an operating system to access internet, etc.

Thank you!

My motherboard is a Gigabyte b650 Aorus Elite AX. Do some bios not support external DVD drives? (I don't know too much about bios yet).
Usually people use USB flash drives to install windows.
That way you get latest version of windows installed and don't have to jump through multiple major windows updates.
Each of those updates essentially downloads full windows installation.

Just use USB flash drive - 8GB or larger.
Prepare windows installation media with media creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reactions: smallfri145
Mar 31, 2023
Usually people use USB flash drives to install windows.
That way you get latest version of windows installed and don't have to jump through multiple major windows updates.
Each of those updates essentially downloads full windows installation.

Just use USB flash drive - 8GB or larger.
Prepare windows installation media with media creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Are you saying this is a free way (besides getting a flash drive) to get Windows 10 on a new PC?

Are you saying this is a free way (besides getting a flash drive) to get Windows 10 on a new PC?
Creating windows installation media is free (excluding cost of USB flash drive).
You still have to pay for windows license.
Without license your windows remains unactivated - with several limitations and annoying nag message reminding to activate.
But even with activation remainder it's still fully functional and has no expiration.

activate-windows-10-watermark.png

Last edited:
Reactions: smallfri145

TRENDING THREADS