Can i install windows 10 home unactivated?

MLS456

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
I just built a new PC but I cant afford $125 for a new copy
And I'm a gamer so I can't use Linux
So I was wondering if I absolutely NEED to buy a product key just to install windows on a newly built PC or if I can use it unactivated.
If I can, what limitations are there and how long can I use an unactivated version

Solution
Yes, you can run win 10 unactivated but I would save up and buy a licence when you can. when you get to screen of installer asking for a key, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will install normally.

There are limitations to running it unactivated but nothing that stops it working completely. We don't know if that will continue forever, hence reason I suggested buying a key eventually.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, you can run win 10 unactivated but I would save up and buy a licence when you can. when you get to screen of installer asking for a key, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will install normally.

There are limitations to running it unactivated but nothing that stops it working completely. We don't know if that will continue forever, hence reason I suggested buying a key eventually.

Solution

Benkberg97

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
MS changed the way Windows deals with unlicensed copies in Windows 8 and 10. There's no 30-day grace period like there was in 7 and earlier. In the current build, Windows will run deactivated, but you'll see a permanent watermark nagging you to activate in the bottom right corner and the personalize control panel will be disabled. You also won't get any updates, except for critical updates.

You never know, though. If M$ decides they want to crack down, they could revisit Vista's activation punishment and initiate a reduced functionality mode. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/925582) If you want to reminisce on that.