[SOLVED] Can i install Windows 10 in IH61mf-q5 Mobo

Bruv-kimane-un

Commendable
Sep 2, 2020
So, my PC was stuffed up and i want to reinstall the OS to Win 10. The thing is my motherboard is latest OS support is Win 8. So, can i install win 10 without effecting any performace issues ?

My spec :
Intel i5 3470
Nvidia GTX 1050 ti 4gb
16 gb Ram
Mobo : Biostar IH61MF-Q5

Solution
Yes, you should be able to install Windows 10 without any trouble on most H61 motherboards. Pretty much all of the Sandy bridge and Ivy bridge platforms are easily upgraded to Windows 10. Just about everything prior to Skylake, especially on some of the less common branded motherboards and most all of the OEM motherboards fails to show any driver support newer than Windows 8 but most of those systems that are still in use have already been upgraded to Windows 10 and if Windows 8 is supported, Windows 10 should be a non-issue.

Heck, I just installed Windows 10 on a Sempron system from like 2006. I had to install Windows 7 first, and then upgrade it to 10, but was able to get it on there in the end.

You should read ALL of these, before...
Yes, you should be able to install Windows 10 without any trouble on most H61 motherboards. Pretty much all of the Sandy bridge and Ivy bridge platforms are easily upgraded to Windows 10. Just about everything prior to Skylake, especially on some of the less common branded motherboards and most all of the OEM motherboards fails to show any driver support newer than Windows 8 but most of those systems that are still in use have already been upgraded to Windows 10 and if Windows 8 is supported, Windows 10 should be a non-issue.

Heck, I just installed Windows 10 on a Sempron system from like 2006. I had to install Windows 7 first, and then upgrade it to 10, but was able to get it on there in the end.

You should read ALL of these, before making any decisions or moving forward though. Probably you can simply plug in your Windows 8 product key when you get to the point in the installation where it asks you for it and usually it will automatically accept that and activate without a problem. Keep in mind though, there is ALWAYS a chance you could run into issues, with any system, so be aware of that possibility and make sure you have anything important backed up before you do this, and that might even include the OS if there is important information on there you can't live without.

Reactions: Bruv-kimane-un
Solution

Bruv-kimane-un

Commendable
Sep 2, 2020

You should read ALL of these, before making any decisions or moving forward though. Probably you can simply plug in your Windows 8 product key when you get to the point in the installation where it asks you for it and usually it will automatically accept that and activate without a problem. Keep in mind though, there is ALWAYS a chance you could run into issues, with any system, so be aware of that possibility and make sure you have anything important backed up before you do this, and that might even include the OS if there is important information on there you can't live without.

Okay. An uncommon thing you do there with an sempron lol . I was asking this because, i was used to have an A8 -6600K. and i upgraded it from win 7 to win 10. And I couldn't connect to Internet. Somehow the PC didn't detect the LAN. And the mobo what i used, didn't have a windows 10 driver.

Thanks for the help M8, Cheers !

Last edited by a moderator:
That is certainly a possibility, for a lot of older hardware. There is always a chance that for things like old network or other adapters, whether they are onboard or add in cards, that driver support will be lacking and that a newer card might be necessary to be purchased, but since you can get one for around twelve bucks, like this one that supports Windows 10, it's not a major issue for most people really.

TRENDING THREADS