[SOLVED] Can I install Windows 10 OEM with a major hardware change?

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I built my PC back in 2016 and I bought an OEM version of Windows 10 for like $80-$90. I was trying to keep my build under a certain budget.

I still have the cardboard envelope it came in with the key on it. I plan to eventually swap out my motherboard for a new one and a new CPU. I heard the OEM version doesn't really like it when you make any major hardware changes like that. Basically it's hardware locked.

I plan on doing a completely fresh install so I don't see what the issue is. But I am not completely sure on how it works.

So can I do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my PC with a new motherboard and CPU using the OEM version?

Solution
In previous versions of Windows, the OEM license was locked to the hardware (motherboard) is was first installed on. With Windows 10, Microsoft has eased up it's restrictions and you can now change the hardware as necessary. You only need assign the license to a Microsoft Account first (as indicated by the link above).

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
In previous versions of Windows, the OEM license was locked to the hardware (motherboard) is was first installed on. With Windows 10, Microsoft has eased up it's restrictions and you can now change the hardware as necessary. You only need assign the license to a Microsoft Account first (as indicated by the link above).

-Wolf sends

Reactions: n00bguy84
Solution