Can I install Windows 10 on a new HDD or SDD on my old computer, before I make my New PC? Then add to new PC.

myaccount1234

Honorable
Sep 12, 2015
My HDD is dying, as the computer crashes randomly and for no reason. I see on YouTube videos people say they take an HDD with Windows 10 and add it to a new build, for bench marking videos. I want to do that when I finally get my new PC parts and build a new PC. How can I do this?

Solution

The thing about those utube vids....there is a WHOLE LOT behind the scenes that you don't see.

Taking a random Win 10 drive and sticking it in some random PC, and using that for benchmarks?
hahahaha....no. Completely scripted and practiced beforehand.

But this is mostly off topic for what you want to do.
Be 100% prepared to do a full wipe and reinstall with this new hardware.

And see my initial question. This impacts the licensing and activation.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You can, but you will run into many issues. When the OS installs itself, it needs to know the system it is living in. That is why you need to install it on the machine you will be using.
Also, when you move the OS to the new machine, MS will consider that a "move" and count that against your license. I'm not sure what the number of moves can be made is, but I believe it is 2.

USAFRet

Titan

This is the way wrong way to do this.

First question...where did your existing Windows 10 come from?
This makes a difference.

Mojazz

Notable
May 11, 2017
Your windows system will cause all types of conflicts by putting that drive into a new build. That drive will have hardware. drivers which was intended to run with the old system . You need a complete new fresh install on which you will install the hardware drivers for your new system.

You can move windows your windows license from one computer to the other, but you have to have your license key linked to a microsoft account.

You cant move the hard drive back and forth between two different computers and expect windows to run (at least with any stability). When windows installs itself it sets up for the specific hardware in the system. If there is too big of a change between the system it was installed on and the system it is moved to it will be unstable or not even boot.

USAFRet

Titan

And anyone who did that, I would automatically discount whatever benchmark stuff they came up with.
Completely.

myaccount1234

Honorable
Sep 12, 2015

RandomGaminginHD was the person , that I saw in couple of videos , he took an HDD with windows 10 on it and plugged it
into a build that he was testing out with old PC parts.
Here is the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7GVIYR_YVk

USAFRet

Titan

The thing about those utube vids....there is a WHOLE LOT behind the scenes that you don't see.

Taking a random Win 10 drive and sticking it in some random PC, and using that for benchmarks?
hahahaha....no. Completely scripted and practiced beforehand.

But this is mostly off topic for what you want to do.
Be 100% prepared to do a full wipe and reinstall with this new hardware.

And see my initial question. This impacts the licensing and activation.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS