Question Can i install Windows 10 on an old HP Pavilion m9250f

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Will my computer take an install of Windows 10 without any troubles?

I want to install Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion m9250f

Im currently runnning Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz) ,8g RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT, 2 x 4 MB L2 Cache

I hate to ask this but can someone please look on ebay for a brand new sealed Windows 10 64bit disc that i can install to change my Vista machine to Windows 10 machine.

I keep looking at the listings on eBay but im confused at the titles and descriptions dont know what to look for for what i want to do which is just install indows 10 on a old Vista machine.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a direct upgrade path from Vista to 10.

If you want 10, you'll likely have to do a clean install.

Nearly positive your machine will accept Windows 10.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...inimum/minimum-hardware-requirements-overview

Ebay would NOT be my preferred source for Windows 10. A reliable source like Amazon or Newegg might charge you 120 to 140.

Ordinary "Windows 10 Home" should be adequate.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
I don't think there is a direct upgrade path from Vista to 10.

If you want 10, you'll likely have to do a clean install.

Nearly positive your machine will accept Windows 10.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...inimum/minimum-hardware-requirements-overview

Ebay would NOT be my preferred source for Windows 10. A reliable source like Amazon or Newegg might charge you 120 to 140.

Ordinary "Windows 10 Home" should be adequate.
Will my computer take an install of Windows 10 without any troubles?

I want to install Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion m9250f

Im currently runnning Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz) ,8g RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT, 2 x 4 MB L2 Cache

I hate to ask this but can someone please look on ebay for a brand new sealed Windows 10 64bit disc that i can install to change my Vista machine to Windows 10 machine.

I keep looking at the listings on eBay but im confused at the titles and descriptions dont know what to look for for what i want to do which is just install indows 10 on a old Vista machine.

i dont want to upgrade. Just do a clean install on an old Vista Machine and get it working as it should.

I see alot of Windows 10 purchases from sellers with 100% feedback, so whats wrong with buying a indows 10 from someone with 100% feedback?
Im definitley not paying $100 for a copy

I see alot of Windows 10 purchases from sellers with 100% feedback, so whats wrong with buying a indows 10 from someone with 100% feedback?
Im definitley not paying $100 for a copy

Nothing at all wrong with it if you don't mind some level of risk.

How much risk? Nobody knows.

Entirely your choice. Give as much credence to feedback as you choose.

Microsoft licensing is quite complicated.

The source for the Ebay licenses can be questionable.

If you are "definitely" not paying $100, you'll likely have to take some risk.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Nothing at all wrong with it if you don't mind some level of risk.

How much risk? Nobody knows.

Entirely your choice. Give as much credence to feedback as you choose.

Microsoft licensing is quite complicated.

The source for the Ebay licenses can be questionable.

If you are "definitely" not paying $100, you'll likely have to take some risk.

It would help if i communicate with the seller and get them to say that it will register or whatever and if it dont, i can get a refund from eBay. I just found a seller 100% over 1500 feedback Offical Microsoft software $75 Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 32/64-Bit Retail Box USB Drive Sealed box accepts returns 30 days seller pays return shipping

USAFRet

Titan
I see alot of Windows 10 purchases from sellers with 100% feedback,
fake feedback.

The Windows installer is free, direct from MS.
The license key is what costs money.

A Win 10 Home license, generally around $100.
Pro, significantly more.

These fleabay sellers do not have some direct line to the cheap section at Microsoft.
So, you have to ask yourself...how can they sell licenses cheap?

One typical method is money laundering.
(yes, really)

For your WIn 10 installation, this:

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
fake feedback.

The Windows installer is free, direct from MS.
The license key is what costs money.

A Win 10 Home license, generally around $100.
Pro, significantly more.

These fleabay sellers do not have some direct line to the cheap section at Microsoft.
So, you have to ask yourself...how can they sell licenses cheap?

One typical method is money laundering.
(yes, really)

For your WIn 10 installation, this:
thank you for the link.
thats alot to consider and alot of things i didnt think of to worry about.
Maybe its better to just upgrade to 7 or 8. I know about end of support but the machine would be more usuable than Vista
i know the sellers that sell many copies arent good i wouldnt buy from them i see a few sellers that look legit just selling one copy. Im a full time seller on eBay so id like to think im smart enough to spot a fake.

Im a full time seller on eBay so id like to think im smart enough to spot a fake.

I have heard it said that buyers have an advantage on Ebay...in disputes, they are typically favored over the seller, making it more likely the buyer can recover the purchase price.

If you are a full time seller, you probably know how true that is.

If it is true, maybe that would make it worthwhile for you to take a chance. I don't know personally...I have not sold on Ebay in over 20 years.

USAFRet

Titan
thank you for the link.
thats alot to consider and alot of things i didnt think of to worry about.
Maybe its better to just upgrade to 7 or 8. I know about end of support but the machine would be more usuable than Vista
i know the sellers that sell many copies arent good i wouldnt buy from them i see a few sellers that look legit just selling one copy. Im a full time seller on eBay so id like to think im smart enough to spot a fake.
Its not that the licenses are "fake". They may well be real Win 10 licenses, direct from Microsoft.

However....how did this seller get 1,500 of them, to sell for 1/2 price?

Money laundering.

Say a person buys 1,000 credit card numbers and details on the dark web. All real and working.
How to turn that into actual money?

You can't walk into a bank and get a cash advance on each...the bank has cameras.
You can't buy physical goods to sell, that involves an address. And actual work.

Digital goods.
So, with those 1,000 credit cards, you purchase 10 real Windows licenses. Or Office, Adobe, whatever.

You then sell these for 1/2 off or less.

Me personally, I'd rather not support that type of activity.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Its not that the licenses are "fake". They may well be real Win 10 licenses, direct from Microsoft.

However....how did this seller get 1,500 of them, to sell for 1/2 price?

Money laundering.

Say a person buys 1,000 credit card numbers and details on the dark web. All real and working.
How to turn that into actual money?

You can't walk into a bank and get a cash advance on each...the bank has cameras.
You can't buy physical goods to sell, that involves an address. And actual work.

Digital goods.
So, with those 1,000 credit cards, you purchase 10 real Windows licenses. Or Office, Adobe, whatever.

You then sell these for 1/2 off or less.

Me personally, I'd rather not support that type of activity.

Its all a scam even Microsoft putting out a new version of Windows every 2-3 years just to rake in money and cheat people out of previous versions that people pay their hard earned money for.

DSzymborski

Titan
Its all a scam even Microsoft putting out a new version of Windows every 2-3 years just to rake in money and cheat people out of previous versions that people pay their hard earned money for.

If you're going to do something shady, you should at least own your actions rather than making a weak attempt to justify them.

In any case, Microsoft did not charge people to upgrade their legitimate version from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or Windows 10 to Windows 11. But I'm not sure why it would be a problem if they did; they're literally the ones who are writing the software. You don't have to use Windows. The idea that someone who writes the software you're using to run every function of your PC is in the same moral position as someone who steals the software that Microsoft wrote so that they can sell it cheaply is preposterous. And, quite frankly, it reflects extremely poorly on your character.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
If you're going to do something shady, you should at least own your actions rather than making a weak attempt to justify them.

In any case, Microsoft did not charge people to upgrade their legitimate version from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or Windows 10 to Windows 11. But I'm not sure why it would be a problem if they did; they're literally the ones who are writing the software. You don't have to use Windows. The idea that someone who writes the software you're using to run every function of your PC is in the same moral position as someone who steals the software that Microsoft wrote so that they can sell it cheaply is preposterous. And, quite frankly, it reflects extremely poorly on your character.
i never defended anybody selling illegal software or codes. Go back and read every one of my words. I also didnt know they let people upgrade free from 10 to 11. This all started by me trying to explain that i wanted a cheaper legit version of Windows 10, but somebody went on a rant making it look like i was supporting illegal sellers on ebay.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022

Its also preposterous for someone to accuse me of suporting illegal software when i was just asking questions about something i didnt know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.