[SOLVED] Can i install windows 10 on hdd until ssd arrives?

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
I just got my cpu today and i can build my pc now, but my ssd is arriving next week so could i install windows in the HDD ultil my ssd arrives and then pass it, i´ve heard something about cloning the hard disk.

Solution
I just got my cpu today and i can build my pc now, but my ssd is arriving next week so could i install windows in the HDD ultil my ssd arrives and then pass it, i´ve heard something about cloning the hard disk.
You can. What you want to do is partition your HDD into a C: drive that is smaller than your SSD. That makes it easy to clone that partition to the SSD. So if you have a 500GB SSD coming, create a 400GB partition on your HDD for C: then when your SSD comes you clone that (with "expand to maximum size" option selected to the SSD. You end up with a 500GB SSD C: Drive. Then I would wipe the partitions on the HDD and format it to a single D: Drive.

kanewolf

Titan
You can. What you want to do is partition your HDD into a C: drive that is smaller than your SSD. That makes it easy to clone that partition to the SSD. So if you have a 500GB SSD coming, create a 400GB partition on your HDD for C: then when your SSD comes you clone that (with "expand to maximum size" option selected to the SSD. You end up with a 500GB SSD C: Drive. Then I would wipe the partitions on the HDD and format it to a single D: Drive.

Solution

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
my hdd is 1tb and my ssd coming is 240gb, so i need to create a partition on my hdd with windows 10 installed of 140gb, then when my ssd arrives it would be easy to clone it, did i get it right?

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Yes you can do it. Cloning the entire hard drive or only the OS are both possible with some disk clone software like AOMEI, Acronis, etc. Just ensure the new SSD has more space than the total amount of the OS, applications and other data stored in C drive.

As for the Windows 10 key, normally the retail or volume key can be transferred to SSD while OEM key can't. You can check it before cloning. Here's a detailed guide to move Windows 10 to SSD step by step. Good luck.
but after cloning the HDD and make the SSD the C: Drive, i have to go to the bios and make the ssd as primary ?, And also my games will move from hdd to ssd after cloning and they will still working ? because after making ssd as C:, I would like to leave the hdd like that and dont format it and leave my games in the HDD without having to install them all again, it that possible?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
but after cloning the HDD and make the SSD the C: Drive, i have to go to the bios and make the ssd as primary ?, And also my games will move from hdd to ssd after cloning and they will still working and i will not have to install all my games again?
Assuming sufficient space, everything that exists on the HDD will transfer to the SSD.
What size/make/model SSD are you looking at?

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Assuming sufficient space, everything that exists on the HDD will transfer to the SSD.
What size/make/model SSD are you looking at?

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
SSD is a PNY 240GB AND MY HDD IS 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA.

Also which of these 2 programs i have to use Macrium or Aomei?

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
For a 240GB drive, the actual consumed space MUST be below 200GB for this clone to work.
And at that point, that drive is full.

Which program? Macrium Reflect.
SO before cloning i need to click on clone partition properties and then its better for me to reduce the result partition size because i`ve heard that would increase the ssd lifespan, im i right? and also i should have maximum 200gb in my hdd when cloning to my ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
SO before cloning i need to click on clone partition properties and then its better for me to reduce the result partition size because i`ve heard that would increase the ssd lifespan, im i right? and also i should have maximum 200gb in my hdd when cloning to my ssd.
No.
You don't have to reduce the partition size. The application adjusts.

Just be cognizant of the actual amount of data.

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
No.
You don't have to reduce the partition size. The application adjusts.

Just be cognizant of the actual amount of data.
perfect, and when the cloning is done, the games that i moved from hdd to ssd, can i keep them at hdd and they will still work without having to install them again?

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
If the games exist on the new drive, there is no reason to keep them on the HDD as well.
Delete all that.
i mean my SSD is only for programs and the os, and my HDD is just for games and heavy files, thats why im asking you if after cloning hdd to sdd, i can delete my games on the SSD and keep them in the HDD and it will still work without installing it again.

USAFRet

Titan
i mean my SSD is only for programs and the os, and my HDD is just for games and heavy files, thats why im asking you if after cloning hdd to sdd, i can delete my games on the SSD and keep them in the HDD and it will still work without installing it again.
It depends.
Steam/Origin games, yes.

Other standalone games, no.

For Steam, you'll need to tell the Steam client on the SSD where these games live on the HDD. It is now living on a different drive letter.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
It depends.
Steam/Origin games, yes.

Other standalone games, no.

For Steam, you'll need to tell the Steam client on the SSD where these games live on the HDD. It is now living on a different drive letter.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
ok my sdd is now working perfectly so how do i format my old hdd?

USAFRet

Titan
If there is absolutely nothing on the HDD you still want, I suggest the commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85819-erase-disk-using-diskpart-clean-command-windows-10-a.html

Be absolutely sure of what drive you're working with. That is a very powerful command.