Can I interchange a 5770 with 5830 on this computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremiah reese

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Solution

I don't meet very many other folks named Jeremiah to begin with, let alone someone with the same basic name. :)

The 5830 isn't going to be a big jump from the 5770 in the first place. Honestly if you want to pay money for an upgrade, it might as well be something significant. The ATI 5850 or 5870 would really be the only options in my mind (assuming the PSU will handle them). Both would be a substantial upgrade from the 5770, and therefore would be worth spending the money.

You can...
I really wouldn't bother with the HD5830. It's better than the HD5770 but nowhere near worth the extra money at it's current price. If you are going to bother to upgrade spend a bit more for an HD5850 which is a much better value. The HD5850 uses less power than the GTX 260 so it should be ok.

You should refrain from answering questions if you aren't knowledgeable about the subject.
Dell does not use crappy PSUs, they use very good ones that they underrate. Just yesterday the was a thread with someone who is using the 305w PSU to run an HD5770. If they sell computers with that PSU and the GTX 260 installed as was said then it will definitely handle an HD5850.

No they had a 65W processor. The OP specifically stated that it can handle a GTX 260. This would not surprise me. The HD5850 uses less power. There's nothing complicated about the logic I'm using here. So you should think a little not I, or if you have, then call the OP a liar which is what you are doing. I believe Dell rates their PSUs for continuous usage rather than peak like almost every other manufacturer. Show me any review that shows an HD5850 system actually using over 375w of power.

I would never even recommend for anyone to get a Dell but the facts are their PSUs are much better than one would think based upon the listed power rating and when people ask advice about what card will work in their Dell computer I like to, you know, give accurate advice? Is there a reason you have an attitude about the subject?

dude101

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I am the person who is running the HD5770 on a Dell 300 watt psu. It runs flawlessly, let me tell you!

And if a jvjjy says that Dell has good psu(s), let him say that as he is very much right. I am a living example.

A 5830 uses slightly more power than a GTX260. If the PSU can handle a GTX260 then it can handle a 5830. It's not worth the price and heat over the 5770 though...

Power.png

LOL Is your name really Jeremiah Reese?

This world is too small....

Anyhow: I agree with zipzoomfly on this one. I'm surprised they're pushing a 5770 with that power supply to begin with. Dell doesn't really have the best reputation when it comes to power supplies. One of the harder things is finding a power supply that fits inside the case when the existing one goes out. They tend to use custom sized power supplies in a lot of machines (but not necessarily all).

Flawless? Maybe for now..
Try loading it for a couple of hours on a regualr basis, and see how long the computers gonna last...:)

A dell 300watt (maybe ~400watt) would run a 5770 fine if his CPU is a Core2Duo or Core2Quad and if it's not overclocked significantly. Most of the tech reviews use an OCed i7 @ 3.6-4.0GHz, which consumes a good 100-200 more watts (depending on voltage) than a stock i7, which in turn uses maybe ~40 more watts than a Core2Quad.

Its a dell 305W first of all, and maybe it could survive with an 65W processor, but its still on the unsafe side.

Lets hope for the Best and say the PSU has 20A on the 12V, factoring an 80% efficiency, the computer would consume 65(Cpu)+15(Chipset)+90(5770)+20(HDD/ODD), that's still 190W, which barely meets the power supply's rated net 196W on the 12V. Put some stress on it and kapossh, ita dead.

300/305watts, yep.

Only 20amps?

In my old Dell computer from 4 years ago (E520 with a dual core), I had a 305 watt PSU with 2x 12v rails with 18 amps each. The combined total on the 12v rail was 22amps, or 264 watts.

If his PSU was made after mine was made (4 years ago), it would probably have more amps and efficiency than mine did.

Unless he decided to significantly overclock both his CPU and GPU, add some more hard drives, and/or suffer PSU degradation, he should be ok.

Now should he upgrade his PSU? Yes, it is a good idea for the future and if he wants to add more stuff/upgrade his computer. But his current PSU should be able to run the 5770 in his current system without much trouble. Of course, a 5830/5850 are a definite no-no.

It's not really that Dell has much better than average PSUs(they are decent) it is that they rate them differently. So when you see 305w or 375w that number needs to be adjusted upwards. How much exactly is the issue I guess.
In some sense I guess Dell should be given props for using a more sensible rating for their PSUs than the industry standard but it certainly does cause confusion and in the end it probably isn't worth it. They should just rate them as any other manufacturer would so people can use common knowledge to judge what components their system can handle.

jeremiah reese

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
HI, thank you all for posting... seems like thid forum got kinda off topid... Yes my name is jeremiah Reese, jerreece lol. Small world yep i suppose so, so it seems like its more worth upgrading to a 5850 or 5870 and not upgrading a 5770 to a 5830.

jyjjy posted this

"You should refrain from answering questions if you aren't knowledgeable about the subject.
Dell does not use crappy PSUs, they use very good ones that they underrate. Just yesterday the was a thread with someone who is using the 305w PSU to run an HD5770. If they sell computers with that PSU and the GTX 260 installed as was said then it will definitely handle an HD5850."

This is the post you should be paying attention to. Dell PSU's are very good solid units and those that don't know any different often make the mistake of lumping them in with other generic/pre bought unit PSU's that are, (although its not as bad these days as it was) usually cheap and weak affairs.
The 305 Watt PSU has been running 8800 cards for years now, not GTX cards but all the others and the 375 Watt PSU has 30Amps for its +12V Rails which if you look at some reviews is plenty for a 5770 and as jyjjy says.
"If they sell computers with that PSU and the GTX 260 installed as was said then it will definitely handle an HD5850."
Again look at reviews the 5850 is comfortably under the GTX 260.

Mactronix :)

I don't meet very many other folks named Jeremiah to begin with, let alone someone with the same basic name. :)

The 5830 isn't going to be a big jump from the 5770 in the first place. Honestly if you want to pay money for an upgrade, it might as well be something significant. The ATI 5850 or 5870 would really be the only options in my mind (assuming the PSU will handle them). Both would be a substantial upgrade from the 5770, and therefore would be worth spending the money.

You can get a 5850 these days for about $300 or less in some circumstances. The 5770 sells for about $150 to $170 new, so expect less than that if you sell it.

Here you can compare the cards by performance according to TomsHardware testing:
Tom's Hardware - Benchmark Sum of FPS Benchmarks Totals

Solution

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Actually now the 5830 is dipping in the 200 dollar range ( and giving avatar with it for free ), which is the price point which made the 4890 so good. Id say right now the 5830 is a decent buy, better then it was a month ago, that is for sure. But i would still only suggest it if over clocking as they tend to OC very well.

jeremiah reese

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hmm okay thanks... Yea from what i saw i was like hmm... gtx 260 or 5830, same price why not go with 5830, especially if your making a computer.... but I guess it is more worth upgradeing to 5850 at least. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.