[SOLVED] Can I just move my old harddrive/s to a new pc?

destractoid

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
I will be getting a new pc soon, and I have quite a number of files I would like to keep on my current pc. I want to know if I can just take out the old HDD and SSD I have and plug them in the new one and just update/add necessary drivers. The biggest change between the two is that I am currently using a pc with intel and the new one will be amd.

Solution
Depends on the files. If they are loose files like music or photos or documents, sure, no worries.

The problems arise with installed files like programs etc as Windows installer has records of registry links and associations etc. Those will not 'transfer' with a simple swap, but must be reinstalled from scratch in the new OS.

Can't even keep the old OS as such as its tied to the old motherboard and old drivers etc, so you'll need a clean, fresh install there too. You can reuse the old key, IF it's a retail key and not a Dell or HP or other 3rd party key.

OS is free, just dl directly from MS, get the version you already have, MS has record of the key (it's digital) unless you have a physical copy. Just log into your MS account and...
D

Deleted member 1560910

There are a few ways to do this . Put the files in the windows cloud. By a usb and transfer. i wouldnt swap HDD i would only do a clean install

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the files. If they are loose files like music or photos or documents, sure, no worries.

The problems arise with installed files like programs etc as Windows installer has records of registry links and associations etc. Those will not 'transfer' with a simple swap, but must be reinstalled from scratch in the new OS.

Can't even keep the old OS as such as its tied to the old motherboard and old drivers etc, so you'll need a clean, fresh install there too. You can reuse the old key, IF it's a retail key and not a Dell or HP or other 3rd party key.

OS is free, just dl directly from MS, get the version you already have, MS has record of the key (it's digital) unless you have a physical copy. Just log into your MS account and follow the steps to activate your copy.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I will be getting a new pc soon, and I have quite a number of files I would like to keep on my current pc. I want to know if I can just take out the old HDD and SSD I have and plug them in the new one and just update/add necessary drivers. The biggest change between the two is that I am currently using a pc with intel and the new one will be amd.
Is one of these the OS drive?

TRENDING THREADS