Can I just replace my HDD where I put minor programs files without reinstalling windows?

manuelberja

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
the question sounds obvious and simple, but let me cover up the details as I am not sure myself.

I do have my windows installed in a 250GB SSD, some major programs as well like drivers, and all of those that I need to perform fast. now I do have HDD for all other things, like photoshop, authoring tools, games and other program files that are not related to system files. but now that HDD is being faulty now and I want to replace it with an SSHD of the same capacity(2tb), as the question in the title, can I just copy the entire files from the old HDD to a new SSHD without reinstalling windows again?

I just want to avoid installation of windows twice in a row when the new SSD arrives. new SSD wil arrive later, but I need to replace HDD asap because I use my computer for work.

Thanks in advance

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Generally speaking, yes.

You don't have to reinstall Windows, as that remains on the SSD, BUT if you have programs installed on the HDD, you'll likely need to reinstall those.

Bulk storage (media etc) can just be copied over, yes.

Ensure, once the transfer is done, that you assign the new HDD the same drive letter the old HDD had - that way, if you have any directories set up (that look to a certain drive/location), they'll still work.

manuelberja

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I just have to be sure. although it sounds obvious, I never tried that especially when a new hardware is installed.

TRENDING THREADS