Question Can I just unscrew my NVMe stick and install it into a new mobo?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2021
So im getting a new motherboard, the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite, and thats just it, no other new components, so im just wondering if I can just unscrew my NVMe stick from my old motherboard and install it into the new one? every other part of my PC remains the same, just a change of the motherboard, Is there something I will need to do? or can I just unscrew it and install it into the new motherboard?

so i assemble everything first, start my pc up, and then proceed with the clean installation process?

Yes.....with the understanding that you "start my pc up" by booting from the USB flash drive installer you personally make with Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool". NOT from your SSD. You would choose the USB flash drive installer from a menu that will be displayed by using a particular keyboard key during the startup process. Probably an F key, depending on your motherboard.

Be sure ONLY ONE DRIVE is connected before you start.....your SSD.

Early in that process you will see an onscreen display of all of the existing partitions on your SSD, with an option shown to delete each of them.....you should at that point delete ALL of them.

The process should continue automatically, rebooting as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.