Question Can I just unscrew my NVMe stick and install it into a new mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2021
So im getting a new motherboard, the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite, and thats just it, no other new components, so im just wondering if I can just unscrew my NVMe stick from my old motherboard and install it into the new one? every other part of my PC remains the same, just a change of the motherboard, Is there something I will need to do? or can I just unscrew it and install it into the new motherboard?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AMD to AMD, should work. Just make sure to download and install the latest motherboard drivers.

There is always a possibility it won't work, or that Windows will deactivate itself (depends on how it is authorized, if you are logging in with a MS account it should be fine)

Reactions: beebeeboop
You'd better have a good/tested backup of all of your data BEFORE you start doing such things. Windows does not like to be moved in that manner, even though Windows 10 seems to be better in that regard. However, do not be surprised that you encounter small issues after the fact.

Jul 21, 2021
You can do that if the new motherboard has the appropriate port.

It may or may not work as well as you hope.

Try it. If it gives you headaches immediately or later, do a clean Windows install.

yeah i’ve checked to make sure the same port is available for my NVMe on that motherboard, so i can just turn off my pc, start unplugging all the parts and connecting it to the new motherboard and all that jazz and it should be fine right?

Jul 21, 2021
You'd better have a good/tested backup of all of your data BEFORE you start doing such things. Windows does not like to be moved in that manner, even though Windows 10 seems to be better in that regard. However, do not be surprised that you encounter small issues after the fact.

I see, so any advice on how to move my NVMe stick from my current motherboard to the new one? what should I do?

I see, so any advice on how to move my NVMe stick from my current motherboard to the new one? what should I do?

Do you have any personal data on the NVMe?

You shouldn't need more than a screwdriver type tool to move the drive.....but that doesn't mean it will work out well for you. It might. You can't know without an actual attempt.

Safest idea would be to do a clean install, but I guess you don't want to do that for some reason.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you have a working system, back up everything on the drive you can't afford to lose. If you don't, just slap it in there. You can now get M.2 -> USB enclosures, if you can afford to wait, you should be able to get data off of it.

Oh, that one is type-C, let me find a Type A one that does NVMe. Well, this one will only do NVMe and not SATA M.2 drives, but should work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum...4804736&sprefix=m.2+nvme+to+usb,aps,77&sr=8-6

I can personally attest to the following:

Partial success: Athlon X2 6000 -> Intel i7-950 (Windows 7) success. Secondary partition with Windows XP, did not survive.
Success: i7-950 -> i7-4770k Windows 7, success (SSD)
Fail: i7-4770k - i7-7700k fail Windows 8.1 (SSD to NVMe)
Success: i7-7700k -> i9-10900F success

AMD e350 embedded APU -> i3-4130T success (they even had the same realtek chipset, was surprised when on first boot it had sound)

You are only changing motherboard, I think it will be okay.

Jul 21, 2021
Do you have any personal data on the NVMe?

You shouldn't need more than a screwdriver type tool to move the drive.....but that doesn't mean it will work out well for you. It might. You can't know without an actual attempt.

Safest idea would be to do a clean install, but I guess you don't want to do that for some reason.

oh i see, well no, on my NVMe i only have my windows installed there as well as my games and some apps, thats all I have installed on my NVMe.

Jul 21, 2021
If you have a working system, back up everything on the drive you can't afford to lose. If you don't, just slap it in there. You can now get M.2 -> USB enclosures, if you can afford to wait, you should be able to get data off of it.

Oh, that one is type-C, let me find a Type A one that does NVMe. Well, this one will only do NVMe and not SATA M.2 drives, but should work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum-Tool-Free-Enclosure-Portable/dp/B0892BK5L6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=AM3BY149DHZC&keywords=m.2+NVMe+to+USB&qid=1654804736&sprefix=m.2+nvme+to+usb,aps,77&sr=8-6

I can personally attest to the following:

Partial success: Athlon X2 6000 -> Intel i7-950 (Windows 7) success. Secondary partition with Windows XP, did not survive.
Success: i7-950 -> i7-4770k Windows 7, success (SSD)
Fail: i7-4770k - i7-7700k fail Windows 8.1 (SSD to NVMe)
Success: i7-7700k -> i9-10900F success

AMD e350 embedded APU -> i3-4130T success (they even had the same realtek chipset, was surprised when on first boot it had sound)

You are only changing motherboard, I think it will be okay.

alright will do a test trial as soon as the motherboard reaches, thank you all :)

USAFRet

Titan
What is the old motherboard?

Moving a drive between motherboards has 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally seen all 3.

Prepare for #2, hope for #1, expect #3.

Jul 21, 2021
What is the old motherboard?

Moving a drive between motherboards has 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally seen all 3.

Prepare for #2, hope for #1, expect #3.

my current motherboard is the MSI A520M-A Pro. As for number 3, what are the issues i would be "chasing" for weeks/months? would definitely want to avoid that, i would just do a clean installation to be safe since everything on my drive is just Windows itself, my games and some apps.

USAFRet

Titan
my current motherboard is the MSI A520M-A Pro. As for number 3, what are the issues i would be "chasing" for weeks/months? would definitely want to avoid that, i would just do a clean installation to be safe since everything on my drive is just Windows itself, my games and some apps.
"issues" could be anything.

MSI A520M-A Pro to Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite.
Yes, a fresh install is strongly recommended.

Reactions: rickypicky5
"issues" could be anything.

MSI A520M-A Pro to Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite.
Yes, a fresh install is strongly recommended.

... As for number 3, what are the issues i would be "chasing" for weeks/months? ...

A few example of 'issues'...

SLEEP never works. Or when it does it doesn't come out of sleep.​
Installing updates for software can be "iffy". Especially things like GPU drivers, which are always updating.​
Some applications don't find their support files even though they're in the exact same folder location they always were before.​
Some applications simply refuse to work and can't be installed again because the installer thinks it's already installed; or uninstalled because the uninstaller refuses to do it completely.​
Those are some of the problems I chased when I did an SSD swap into a new motherboard/CPU. At first all went great and I could chase down most of the issues (except the sleep/hibernate problem). I found that a Repair Install with In Place Upgrade fixed most problems (except sleep/hibernate issues) but I was never comfortable with it so I just broke down and clean installed.
It's not that hard to 'clean install', just get organized. Keep all your games and 'big data' on a separate data drive is the first thing, and all you documents in the My Documents folder, copy that to a spare drive. Now clean install. Yes you have to reinstall all your apps and customize your desktop but it's not that hard. Or you can get an app like Macrium to do it all for you.

USAFRet

Titan
Just to be sure, may I know specifically on how to clean install? would really help :)

Jul 21, 2021
thanks, do i clean install after moving to my new motherboard and start up my computer? or do i clean install on my system currently and then switch to my new motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.