Can I justify buying an iFixit kit even if I have nothing to "fix"?

brennan687

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Probably a silly question, but for me money is a bit tight. I really don't have much that I know of to fix, but I've been interested in buying the beginner kit for some time. For those of you that own one, do you just tear things apart for the fun of it? See what components are like on any given device, etc?

Would buying a kit be a good way to to get some knowledge and experience on computer/device repair etc?

Any answers are appreciated,

Thanks

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Similar kits are available elsewhere for less money, although the quality of the plastic openers* varies.

I have stripped down and performed major surgery on phones a few times; and so far all have worked afterwards; however I wouldnt go opening anything for "fun"; only if the alternative is throwing it away, or when paying someone else would cost more than the device is worth.

*A set of various thickness guitar plectrums would do the same job, and for a lot less.

For computers, the need is even less, just about any task needed on a PC can be done with a No.2 Philips screwdriver, a broad flat head screwdriver (for levering), and a pair of long nose pliers.

If you want to do component level repairs, you need a lot more gear, and a lot more knowledge; I was trained down to component level, and these days I wouldnt touch a board unless it was already dead and I had nothing to lose.

Of course, in my young and foolish youth, I used to unsolder RAM chips from motherboards and replace with upgraded parts !! And do cut track mods to increase VRAM availability!!! (Back when the Amiga was king).

If you want to get down to this level, I recommend a large stand mounted magnifying glass with integral spot light, and a solder station with extractor fan to avoid toxic fumes.

If you have nothing to use it on, what is the point of having it sitting around? Buying a kit would do nothing for knowledge unless you actually have something you can use it on. For computers you don't need much of anything aside from a set of smaller screwdrivers. I got a kit similar to this https://www.amazon.com/ORIA-Screwdriver-Professional-Precision-Smartphone/dp/B073ZWY386/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_469_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=WSZGKCFSG0KN18NABRWE&th=1 so far did not need anything else aside from some larger screwdrivers for desktops.

You are likely better off with a book on the topic. For computers, the A+ guide from Mike Meyers is great, one of the best books to start with I think.