Question Can i keep my files and games when upgrading MB?

DDKong66

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Hi all.

Currently with an ancient machine(windows 10), but new parts are on the way.
Newer gen motherboard will be installed.

My question is.

Can i keep my files and games?
As long as i know when you change motherboard you need to clean install.

Have quite a lot of stuff on the drives, which i dont want to leave behind.
Games with saves on them.
Plenty of photos and videos aswell and other files.

Im going from i7 2700k to i3 12100f.

DDKong66

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Save them to some other storage device before you start.
Keep them offline during this process.

Build the new system.
Install the OS on whatever drive.
Thanks for response.
Forgot to mention that my games are on drive D and os is on C.
There from Steam,Epic,Gamepass etc.

Installing/Reinstaling will affect only drive C in that situaion ?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for response.
Forgot to mention that my games are on drive D and os is on C.
There from Steam,Epic,Gamepass etc.

Installing/Reinstaling will affect only drive C in that situaion ?
C and D are different physical drives?
Or 2 partitions on the same physical drive?

Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.
(upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here)

During the OS install, you want only ONE physical drive connected.

DDKong66

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
C and D are different physical drives?
Or 2 partitions on the same physical drive?

Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.
(upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here)

During the OS install, you want only ONE physical drive connected.
Have total of 3 drives in my pc.
One ssd which Win10 is installed and programs.
One HDD for bulk storage
Another ssd for games only.

afsfas.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
OK.

If you're going to use these same drives....

Have ONLY the desired drive connected as you build this up and install the OS.
Presumably the 250GB Disk 0?

Reconnect the others after the system is up and running.

You tell the NEW Steam client where those games live on the other drive.
The other game clients have similar functionality.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Reactions: DDKong66

DDKong66

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
OK.

If you're going to use these same drives....

Have ONLY the desired drive connected as you build this up and install the OS.
Presumably the 250GB Disk 0?

Reconnect the others after the system is up and running.

You tell the NEW Steam client where those games live on the other drive.
The other game clients have similar functionality.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png
Thanks. Seems that all will be good after all. Thanks again, this topic can be closed now.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
We just recently had this talk.

I'll start out by saying - BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

Once you get THAT done, here's the spiel on upgrading motherboard hardware and migrating OS'es.

If you are on an AMD system, re-installing the operating system is going to pretty much be an absolute MUST. AMD publishes individual driver packages for each one of their chipsets. If you need to download AMD chipset drivers, you go to their website and look up the SPECIFIC chipset you have, and download that driver. So because each chipset is driver is so unique, taking your windows install from 1 AMD system to a newer one is usually impossible.

If you are on an INTEL system, and are using INTEL chipset motherboards, you MAY be in luck. Intel does not put out driver packages for individual chipsets, if you want Intel chipset drivers you go to the Intel website and download THE Intel chipset driver. There's only ONE. It's a unified driver package that covers all their chipsets. What this means, is that it is VERY POSSIBLE to take your Windows OS and stick that drive in another Intel chipset-based system and it'll boot right to windows.

Then all you have to do is go through all your normal driver installations and you'll have a fully functioning OS and won't have lost anything but a little time.

I have a good deal of personal experience with this. My last 2 upgrades have been from a 4790k to a 9700k, and my 9700k I just upgraded a few weeks ago to a 12700kf (Z390 to Z690). Each time I have had no problems migrating my Windows install to my new hardware. On my last install I even converted an MBR booting system to UEFI before migration, so I had that additional step to contend with, and still Windows works perfectly.

Does that mean it's GUARANTEED? Absolutely not - apparently the discussion comes up quite often here, lol. So as I said at the beginning of this diatribe, DO YOUR BACKUPS FIRST. That way, if you DO have to re-install your OS, you're prepared to do so.

And before you upgrade, create a USB stick with every single up to date driver for your new install ready to go, so that you don't have to mess around with finding them later.

*edited to change style of "MAY" to bold / underline, and added underline to "Absolutely not" for additional clarification.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
If you are on an INTEL system, and are using INTEL chipset motherboards, you MAY be in luck. Intel does not put out driver packages for individual chipsets, if you want Intel chipset drivers you go to the Intel website and download THE Intel chipset driver. There's only ONE. It's a unified driver package that covers all their chipsets. What this means, is that it is VERY POSSIBLE to take your Windows OS and stick that drive in another Intel chipset-based system and it'll boot right to windows.
We're talking about a 10 generation difference, with an OS install of unknown condition, with a potential decade+ of crap application installs and leftover partial uninstalls, and unknown other components....

But sure....just slap it together, and it will work.

riiiiiiiiight.....

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
We're talking about a 10 generation difference, with an OS install of unknown condition, with a potential decade+ of crap application installs and leftover partial uninstalls, and unknown other components....

But sure....just slap it together, and it will work.

riiiiiiiiight.....
It's possible. It ain't going to hurt anything to try. It's not like he's going to put his old OS drive in, power it up, and start to hear "COUNTDOWN TO CORE MELTDOWN! 5! 4!"

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Anything worth doing, is worth doing correctly, the first time.
Of course, I agree. I just define "correct" as "Works properly and without issues." and you define "correct" as "This is the way it's done and the ONLY way it's done." It's like saying taking Route 45 is correct, but I'm saying we can also take County Road 12. Both roads take us to our destination. I'm saying both roads are fine if they get you there. You're saying "ONE ROAD ONLY!"
That doesn't make you, nor me, "wrong". It's just a matter of personal preference.

USAFRet

Titan
Of course, I agree. I just define "correct" as "Works properly and without issues." and you define "correct" as "This is the way it's done and the ONLY way it's done." It's like saying taking Route 45 is correct, but I'm saying we can also take County Road 12. Both roads take us to our destination. I'm saying both roads are fine if they get you there. You're saying "ONE ROAD ONLY!"
That doesn't make you, nor me, "wrong". It's just a matter of personal preference.
I have never ever said that was the "One True Way", nor that it "never ever works".
Not once.

I just don't like giving people false hope and leading them down the wrong path.

Given the speed and ease of current OS installs, and the potential pitfalls of dragging along years of old crap....there is little reason to not do a full OS install.

Reactions: drivinfast247

USAFRet

Titan
Of my oft quoted 3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

#3 is the most likely.
Which results in a full reinstall anyway.
After spending far too much time trying to figure things out.

Reactions: Corwin65

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I have never ever said that was the "One True Way", nor that it "never ever works".
Not once.

I just don't like giving people false hope and leading them down the wrong path.

Given the speed and ease of current OS installs, and the potential pitfalls of dragging along years of old crap....there is little reason to not do a full OS install.
I never try to give "false hope". I'm not trying to lead anyone to fall down a well, man.

Some of us work DILIGENTLY keeping our operating systems clean of clutter and operating smoothly, to where migrating doesn't bring "years of old crap" but stuff I used yesterday and I'm going to want to use tomorrow, as well. That's all. It takes a good hour at least to install Windows and get it fully updated, and even longer to re-install every mother lovin program. Do I really want to go dig up my Adobe Lightroom box, find my product key, get it installed, get it updated, and do the same thing for every single program I got if I don't HAVE TO? Um, what is "No", Alex. If you're someone that has an OS filled with bloat and unused junk, that's on YOU, lol. And if that's the case, then by all means, format away and install fresh.

But that should depend on the user if that's the best option, or if they'd rather try to migrate the OS.

USAFRet

Titan
I never try to give "false hope". I'm not trying to lead anyone to fall down a well, man.

Some of us work DILIGENTLY keeping our operating systems clean of clutter and operating smoothly, to where migrating doesn't bring "years of old crap" but stuff I used yesterday and I'm going to want to use tomorrow, as well. That's all. It takes a good hour at least to install Windows and get it fully updated, and even longer to re-install every mother lovin program. Do I really want to go dig up my Adobe Lightroom box, find my product key, get it installed, get it updated, and do the same thing for every single program I got if I don't HAVE TO? Um, what is "No", Alex. If you're someone that has an OS filled with bloat and unused junk, that's on YOU, lol. And if that's the case, then by all means, format away and install fresh.

But that should depend on the user if that's the best option, or if they'd rather try to migrate the OS.
And I shall always stand by my 1-2-3.
With #3 being the current most likely.

If you need to find the retail box for lightroom to determine the license key, you're doing it wrong...;)

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
And I shall always stand by my 1-2-3.
With #3 being the current most likely.

If you need to find the retail box for lightroom to determine the license key, you're doing it wrong...;)

Why, because the license key is on the card inside the box, and not on the box itself? Well, I happen to keep my license key in my box because if it's in the box I can find the box on my shelf and open it up and there's my key. If I throw the box away and just keep the CD and license key card, I might find the CD but I'll probably lose the card. So I'm definitely doing it the right way.

USAFRet

Titan
Why, because the license key is on the card inside the box, and not on the box itself? Well, I happen to keep my license key in my box because if it's in the box I can find the box on my shelf and open it up and there's my key. If I throw the box away and just keep the CD and license key card, I might find the CD but I'll probably lose the card. So I'm definitely doing it the right way.
I keep my license keys in a spreadsheet. Many thing I purchase do not come in a box.
Also, Belarc Advisor.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I keep my license keys in a spreadsheet. Many thing I purchase do not come in a box.
Also, Belarc Advisor.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned. I like to keep the box and key for the software I'm using and if I'm not using them anymore they go in the trash. I even keep the old disk, even though I can download the image file for most of em. Maybe it's because my first computer was an 8088.

USAFRet

Titan
Maybe it's because my first computer was an 8088.
Mine was a little before that, a VIC-20.
(I still have it, and it probably still works)

But eventually, I had an 8088 as well.
In my current Win 11 Ryzen system and NAS, I still have some files from that old XT compatible.

We've gone far afield of the OPs question. Let's not try to out Old guy each other.

Reactions: Corwin65
Not sure who the DA was, but I up voted you to keep this thread on a level truth playing field.

With high speed USBs and SSDs/NVME drives A well planned out windows install and update takes 30-40 minutes.
Simple to download the latest windows version and drivers to your install usb before you start.
Once you get to the desktop start windows update.
Start immediately installing chipset/motherboard drivers.
Then video card drivers.
Lan/wifi drivers, sound drivers,mouse etc...
By this time windows will have downloaded most of the updates and is waiting on you to finish ,to install them.
Should not be many updates if you created a new Install USB.
now we need to defrag/TRIM/optomize the drive and start loading backups and installing programs.
I keep most of my game and program CDs on my nas. Extremely quick installs using virtual clone drive.

I always do clean installs on new systems. The windows registry grows and grows over time. And each time you install and remove hardware,software,programs games etc.... they all create registry keys. When you uninstall them , many times these keys get left behind.
A bloated registry slows windows down. And is the cause of many blue screens,restarts, crashes,hickups, stutters ..........and just plain slow performance.