Can I keep my old PSU for my new build

This is probably dumb and I have a feeling I know what answer I am going to get but here it goes. Back in 2011 I built a high-end gaming machine with an 850 Watt Seasonic PSU. I am trying to save money where possible and I was wondering if I could re-use this same PSU. I know it is way overkill for modern hardware, I used one of those power supply calculators for the hardware I would be getting and I came up with I think it was 468 Watts. The thing I am worried about is it's age. I know capacitors weaken with age and use and so the guts of this PSU is 5..actually almost 6 years old. I'm afraid that with it's age it will fail and take some new hardware with it. On the other hand it hasn't been stressed that much the computer never ran on full loads 24/7. It was usually a couple hours of gaming then it would get shut down. It's also been reliable and has never caused any problems.

Solution

https://seasonic.com/product/x-850/
click specs and scroll down 7 year warranty. you are good to go friend. you will be covered for a while but beyond that the unit may keep working but no warranty protection. I refuse to have an uncovered/unwarranted PSU in my system.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
which 850 W seasonic. if you have an s12II or an M12II replace they have a 5 year warranty, seasonic has units that have a [strike]10[/strike] 12 year warranty which are still good to go, the question is which do you have?

I'll have to look and get back to you, I'm not sure of the exact model.

bailojustin

Distinguished
Check the voltages, if everything looks in range then its fine to keep using. like you said you never ran it maxed for 24/7.

Components in electronics do suffer damage over time. This damage is very specific, known as thermal degradation.

The longer your PSYU is ran maxed with no onerhead on the rails, the components are working at full time. This causes huge amounts of heat and the HEAT is what typically will always be the downfall of old components. If you have kept it in good condition and a good enviroment while cleaning it, Then you are perfectly fine to use it.

A PSU with a 50% overhead will last 3x as long as a PSU subjected to a 5-10% overhead

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

https://seasonic.com/product/x-850/
click specs and scroll down 7 year warranty. you are good to go friend. you will be covered for a while but beyond that the unit may keep working but no warranty protection. I refuse to have an uncovered/unwarranted PSU in my system.

Solution