[SOLVED] Can I leave my build like this?

rodres268

Reputable
Feb 7, 2019
Hello, I made a PC with these parts:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
RAM: HyperX Predator RGB 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
MOBO: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB
PSU: XPG Core Reactor 850W
CASE: MSI MAG FORGE 100R
View: https://imgur.com/a/DJotNXh

It was a pain in my ass, PSU cables were a lil bit short, and i had to push the case because the 2 right screw holes didn't line up in the beggining. The CPU power cable was short too, that's why you see it blocking some of the space of the CPU Cooler, I tried to pass it for another spaces the case had, but it didnpt reach the PSU that way, then, the REAL problem I had, when i installed the GPU; the holes of the GPU didn't line up with the ones of the case, I had to become hulk and pushed the case in order to screw and secure the GPU with the bracket included. Also, My case came with a strange, metal thing, I think it's purpose it's to protect the screws and close the case?, I really don't know, also, now that the GPU is installed, that metal thing won't go all the way to the left and close that space of the case, I think that's the most worrying problem.

Solution
yeah, case screws don't always line up exactly perfectly, the standards are meant to be the same but as with everything, mistakes are often made by manufacturers :(

so long as the GPU is correctly supported and not forced on an angle (witch it shouldn't be because it has slotted holes so it will be tightened up where it naturally sits) it will be fine

I would just remove the piece of metal that fills the gap above the expansion slots, not having it there will give you more ventilation, unless you specifically want it, in which case you'll have to modify it to fit

It might also be worth getting an extension cable for the CPU power, just so it doesn't cross-over the top of the cooler, just for looks though, it will probably work fine...
Hello, I made a PC with these parts:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
RAM: HyperX Predator RGB 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
MOBO: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB
PSU: XPG Core Reactor 850W
CASE: MSI MAG FORGE 100R
View: https://imgur.com/a/DJotNXh

It was a pain in my ass, PSU cables were a lil bit short, and i had to push the case because the 2 right screw holes didn't line up in the beggining. The CPU power cable was short too, that's why you see it blocking some of the space of the CPU Cooler, I tried to pass it for another spaces the case had, but it didnpt reach the PSU that way, then, the REAL problem I had, when i installed the GPU; the holes of the GPU didn't line up with the ones of the case, I had to become hulk and pushed the case in order to screw and secure the GPU with the bracket included. Also, My case came with a strange, metal thing, I think it's purpose it's to protect the screws and close the case?, I really don't know, also, now that the GPU is installed, that metal thing won't go all the way to the left and close that space of the case, I think that's the most worrying problem.
From the sounds of it you forced the front plate of the gpu into place and need to pull it out and reseat it. Maybe "MAYBE" unwarp it to do so, its suppose to slide smoothly between the mobo and case

rodres268

Reputable
Feb 7, 2019
From the sounds of it you forced the front plate of the gpu into place and need to pull it out and reseat it. Maybe "MAYBE" unwarp it to do so, its suppose to slide smoothly between the mobo and case
After I connected the GPU to the MOBO, I didn't touch the GPU, just pushed the part of the case with the holes to line up with the ones in the metal part of the GPU where you screw it.

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
yeah, case screws don't always line up exactly perfectly, the standards are meant to be the same but as with everything, mistakes are often made by manufacturers :(

so long as the GPU is correctly supported and not forced on an angle (witch it shouldn't be because it has slotted holes so it will be tightened up where it naturally sits) it will be fine

I would just remove the piece of metal that fills the gap above the expansion slots, not having it there will give you more ventilation, unless you specifically want it, in which case you'll have to modify it to fit

It might also be worth getting an extension cable for the CPU power, just so it doesn't cross-over the top of the cooler, just for looks though, it will probably work fine as it is

Solution