Can I legally buy and use a Windows 7 OEM for myself?

Mar 28, 2014
In the future I intend to build a new computer, however I've been currently having a lot of issues with my current computer which runs Windows 8 Pro 32-bit. And quite frankly I am currently in the state of 'fuck dat' cause of the issues I'm having.

Since Microsoft in their infinite non-existent wisdom discontinued the Windows 7 Retail Copies (I had previously been using Vista and never went to 7 due to the retail version being $400 cause of Australia), I still wish to utilise Windows 7 for my next computer. However the retailer I plan to get it from, Scorptec, only supplies the Windows 7 OEM copies. Can I purchase OEM copies for my own personal use at home? I intend to put the computer together myself rather than get it built by Scorptec's custom systems department (they're an online retailer for the most part) (though that is starting to seem like a good idea ngl)

Solution
Yes. OEM copies are legal copies. They are intended for single use. Once you use them for your current build you cannot transfer the license to another computer.

Quote: "The Microsoft OEM system builder license is designed to make it easy for system builders to acquire and distribute genuine Microsoft software with the systems they build and sell. The licensing information found here will help you understand the system builder license, which is an agreement between you, the system builder, and Microsoft. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​"

When you build your own system you fall under the "system builder".

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/index.aspx#fbid=Nko0N9XTovV

n3cw4rr10r

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
Yes. OEM copies are legal copies. They are intended for single use. Once you use them for your current build you cannot transfer the license to another computer.

Quote: "The Microsoft OEM system builder license is designed to make it easy for system builders to acquire and distribute genuine Microsoft software with the systems they build and sell. The licensing information found here will help you understand the system builder license, which is an agreement between you, the system builder, and Microsoft. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​"

When you build your own system you fall under the "system builder".

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/index.aspx#fbid=Nko0N9XTovV

Solution
Mar 28, 2014
Thank you, that is reassuring. Is the installation process for an OEM copy any different than a retail copy by any chance? I'm just trying to be sure. Hilariously the OEM Copies of Windows 7 are cheaper than retail Windows 8.1

Also, which one would you suggest for a computer intending to run gaming mostly. Home Premium or Professional? Apparently the 64-bit limit for RAM on Home is apparently only 16GB? So I wouldn't be able to upgrade to 32... however would I really need 32 GB of RAM at any point? Given I'll be using an i5 4760K?

Mar 28, 2014
I haven't updated to Windows 8.1 just yet due to my internet connection being rather slow, plus I hear there are many issues involved with updating to 8.1. (I've been running an i5 661 on Windows 8 with non-Win 8 supported BIOS so I don't even know if I can update to 8.1).

Sorry, just... Windows 8 is fast and all. But the quirks of the OS, such as the startup-delay, windows store and other strange quirks of the OS just... have proven more trouble than they're worth.