Can i make a (semi) living building/repairing computers?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Im 17 years old, first semester of Senior year HS is almost over and i am really starting to look more into what school i want to go after, college, i will not be going to a traditional 4 year state college, i will be going to a trade school. I know i want to be an IT Technician, specifically something with networking like upkeeping severs, running network systems, etc. and possibly be a Systems Admin or Network Admin and only go upward from then on, but i dont know what comes after a SysAdmin. I am thinking of going to SCIT or ITT Tech or maybe UEI, if you know of any other related schools in Southern California, please comment which.

Anyways, I am pretty proficient in PC building for general home use, servers, etc., and my specialty, gaming. I know about all the parts needed obv and can confidently recommend builds and parts. I am also pretty good with software troubleshooting, both in OS and all other software, its just common sense to me, comes natural to me. I can also easily troubleshoot hardware problems, again, its just common sense to me, probably because i can think critically and have always been better at solving complex problems that do not have one set way for a solution.
I would love to start at building custom computers for people around my area and school and help with computer problems, then eventually open a business or store for such operations as i work my career or go to school, or maybe that could be my career? Thing is, i dont think i would be making nearly as much as a Network IT tech or even a help desk computer tech, right?

So any help, feedback, and support would be hugely appreciated. Thanks all! Sorry for long post

Solution
Quit worrying about what will make the most money and aim for what you would enjoy most. In the end, the money will find you (especially in the tech industry) because the more you love what you do, the easier it will be to climb. Set a goal for where you want to be in life, whether its to be a billionaire CEO or a McDonald's fry cook, and then make a list of sub-goals to get you there. And then make a list of sub-goals for each sub-goal, and continue branching as much as you can. Then, tackle each item on your list one at a time. With some belief in yourself and some dedication, you will reach your ultimate goal and wonder why you questioned yourself to begin with.

It's like climbing a ladder; the top may seem far out of your reach...
D

Deleted member 217926

You will never make money building computers. The margin is too small. You can make good money maintaining them though. You will need a business license and obviously at least some basic certifications and then you will need to build a client base. Home users with only basic knowledge are good but a home user upgrades every few years and may need some work done once a year at most. So you need hundreds of home users. Businesses are where you will make some money. But most decent sized businesses have their own techs. So that's why even larger towns only have a few computer repair shops. I have a buddy who started out small by himself and built a pretty sizeable little computer repair business that now employs several techs. It took him about 5 years to really become profitable. He and his wife lived off her earnings those 5 years.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

So youre saying i would be better off working as a comp tech for a company?

D

Deleted member 217926

You would certainly have more job security. Of course it's up to you if owning your own business is worth working really hard for. Some people do best as their own boss. You could always start working for a company and working on the side to build your own business. It would also be a great way to make contacts. Trust me in business it's about 75% who you know so having a good network of people who know you and the work you can do is always beneficial.

twneal

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Quit worrying about what will make the most money and aim for what you would enjoy most. In the end, the money will find you (especially in the tech industry) because the more you love what you do, the easier it will be to climb. Set a goal for where you want to be in life, whether its to be a billionaire CEO or a McDonald's fry cook, and then make a list of sub-goals to get you there. And then make a list of sub-goals for each sub-goal, and continue branching as much as you can. Then, tackle each item on your list one at a time. With some belief in yourself and some dedication, you will reach your ultimate goal and wonder why you questioned yourself to begin with.

It's like climbing a ladder; the top may seem far out of your reach, but each step along the way is a simple extension of the arm.

That said, don't get stuck on the bandwaggon. Life is like a game, but winning is not nearly as hard as people make it for themselves. Avoiding risks is the primary thing that people do to make it hard because that leaves little room for growth. In your case, don't strive for what makes the most money now, because that will get you stuck. Aim for growth instead; choose jobs that will allow you to learn and grow, and will better prepare you specifically for the future you want for yourself.

For example, if opening a business is what you want, here's an example of a plan you could pursue:
1.) Take classes that pertain to the industry of the business you would like to start. Taking business classes is also always a good idea. This step will be easy because there are colleges everywhere hungry for students.
2.) Accept a summer internship or two at a business similar to the one you would like to start in-between taking classes. Pay attention to all the aspects of how they operate while you're there. This step will be easy because businesses love hiring college students for cheap labor.
3.) Accept a job working for a company that has similar goals to the one you would like to start. Compare your observations with those you made during your internships. Work here for 6 months to a year, then do the same at another company, and continue repeating until you have a solid idea of how all aspects of your business will operate. This step will be easy because you have college and internships under your belt, which employers will value.
4.) Open the business. This step will be easy because by this point you will know exactly how it should operate.
5.) [Enter goal here]. This step will be easy because [enter what makes this goal an easy step up from the last goal].
6.) [Enter goal here]. This step will be easy because [enter what makes this goal an easy step up from the last goal].
7.) [Enter goal here]. This step will be easy because [enter what makes this goal an easy step up from the last goal].

Use this model to make your own list. Then for each step, make a list of steps to get to that step, and so on. Good luck!

Solution