Can I make devices on 5ghz visible to Ethernet devices?

2pac86

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I have a PC that is hardwired to my router. The connection is Ethernet (I have all my wireless turned off) and it still says the name of my 2ghz network. I have an Xbox on a 5ghz network. My PC can't find it when wired unless I switch my Xbox to my 2.4ghz network, making me think the wired connection only has access to devices on my 2.4ghz network. Is there any way to make my 5ghz network visible on an Ethernet connection?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 2.4GHz vs 5GHz signal has no bearing, when connected via Ethernet cable? Those are wireless bands, which is irrelevant when wired.
The 'name' of your network should be "NameOfNetwork" when wired, and likely "NameOfNetwork-2.4GHz" and the same with -5GHz

Have you disabled adapters etc on your PC? You still need your wireless radios enabled to communicate.

2pac86

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

All wireless radios are disabled. I understand the difference between wireless and wired. My wired PC can talk to wireless devices on my 2.4 network, but it can't talk to wireless devices on my 5ghz network. I would assume hardwiring should allow me to access devices on both bands since this is all coming from a single router, or am I wrong about that assumption.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Communication via the router, yes. BUT, depending on what it is you're trying to do specifically, you may be communicating 'directly' (locally), without the going 'through' the router....

What kind of distance are we talking about between the devices? 5GHz doesn't travel as far, or as well as the 2.4GHz band....

2pac86

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

This would be communication all via the router. My Xbox is connected to a 5ghz network and sits about 20ft away from the router with clear line of site. My PC is hardwired to the same router via an Ethernet cable.