Question Can I manually move my old hard drive to new computer?

May 3, 2019
I posted the other day in a different section about how to transfer files from my old computer to new. They are the exact same computers. (Lenovo Ideacentre AIO 510)

I bought some software Zinstall that was supposed to migrate all files AND programs from the old one to the new one. It migrated successfully but then when it restarted, I would keep getting the "start PXE over IP4" error. I tried all different things to fix it online with the BIOS/boot but nothing worked. Now I get "error 1962, no bootable device found". Makes no sense, it worked perfectly find before using Zinstall.

That computer worked perfectly before the migration. The company has not gotten back to me for help and I can't wait anymore.

So I found instructions on how to get to the hard drive on the computers I have (both would be exact same way). It's easy.

My question is, would it work if I just take out the hard drive from my old computer and put it in my new one? They are identical computers, so it should fit and everything. I just am wondering if it works - I assume it does, I don't see why it wouldn't, just want to be sure. The only reason I can't use the old computer is because the screen cracked, so hard drive is working fine.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

TRENDING THREADS