Can I migrate Windows 10 from laptop to desktop

Domagoj720

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Hello.

I am buying a new desktop and i won't sell my laptop so I was wondering can I migrate Windows 10 from laptop to desktop. Windows 10 is upgraded from official Windows 8 and laptop Lenovo G50-30

Thank You.

Jim90

Distinguished
If you purchased your laptop with Windows already installed then the Windows version is most likely an OEM version which normally means it'll only work on your laptop. Give Microsoft an email to check, they might offer a less expensive way to do what you want.

From Microsoft's OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions document:

License Transfers*
OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed.

Transferring Licenses

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine.

• Even if the original laptop, PC or server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, the OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed.

• As long as the license and device remain together, there is no limit to the number of times they may be transferred from one user to another.

• When transferring a PC to a new end user, the software media, manuals (if applicable), and Certificate of Authenticity label should be included. It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.