[SOLVED] Can I migrate with bad sectors?

Oct 8, 2020
I just wanted to make sure if I can migrate windows 10 from an HDD that has 80 health and 17 bad sectors to a new HDD or SSD without any problems during or after migration. Regardless of what software I use on migration. Thanks

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D

I assume since you know about the bad sectors the drive does too. when the drive detects a bad sector it essentially throws up crime scene tapes and prevents any further saving to that location. a spare sector is called from the warehouse to replace the cordoned off sector. 17 bad sectors is about the time to stop using the drive for critical workloads (OS).

there should be no issue cloning the drive the sectors marked as bad will be ignored.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

I assume since you know about the bad sectors the drive does too. when the drive detects a bad sector it essentially throws up crime scene tapes and prevents any further saving to that location. a spare sector is called from the warehouse to replace the cordoned off sector. 17 bad sectors is about the time to stop using the drive for critical workloads (OS).

there should be no issue cloning the drive the sectors marked as bad will be ignored.

Solution
Oct 8, 2020

Eyyy thanks! So thats how it works... yea I really should clone the OS, startup is so slow I had to wait 10mins after the desktop. How embarassing