[SOLVED] Can I mix .08amp and .14 amp on the same fan splitter? I am making proper cooling on an R12 build.

Mar 25, 2022
Stock this thing only has 2 120mm fans. They are 1.5 amp but they sounds absolutely aweful at even half load and don't cool much better than idle. I have an i9 and 3090 I need more cooling.

I removed the front fan and replaced with 2 noctua 120mm at 1.68w*.14amps on a splitter.

Now I have added 2x80mm noctua to the door to vent heat coming off the gpu straight out of the case. They are .96w*.08 amp.

Currently the remaining stock fan is on top case, and cpu pump is on pump. The 2*120 are on the front header. The only header left is CPU.

I plan to replace the remaining stock fan with 2x120 noctua in push pull to reduce noise. My CPU temps are good but GPU is hot.

I was thinking to put all 4 noctua exhaust on the top fan header so that all exhaust are throttled similarly, but is this advisable given the different wattage? Should I just use the CPU fan header for the 2*80mm? ( Or put push/pull 120s on CPU, and let the side fans use top header? Please help.

Thanks!

Solution
and cpu pump is on pump
That would sound like you are using AIO. However the rest of the post does not sound like it so I will assume it was typo.

I was thinking to put all 4 noctua exhaust on the top fan header so that all exhaust are throttled similarly, but is this advisable given the different wattage?
Wattage does not matter. What may matter is if fans are of different speeds (which they probably are). Linking fans with different max speed on same splitter can lead to somewhat unpredictable results. However there should be no harm trying this solution and see if it works as it should.
Should I just use the CPU fan header for the 2*80mm?
Since you want to cool GPU with them (if I understood you correctly)...
and cpu pump is on pump
That would sound like you are using AIO. However the rest of the post does not sound like it so I will assume it was typo.

I was thinking to put all 4 noctua exhaust on the top fan header so that all exhaust are throttled similarly, but is this advisable given the different wattage?
Wattage does not matter. What may matter is if fans are of different speeds (which they probably are). Linking fans with different max speed on same splitter can lead to somewhat unpredictable results. However there should be no harm trying this solution and see if it works as it should.
Should I just use the CPU fan header for the 2*80mm?
Since you want to cool GPU with them (if I understood you correctly) that's not the best idea.
Or put push/pull 120s on CPU, and let the side fans use top header?
Better then above for sure. That said I'm not sure if those 2 80mm fans will do any real difference to GPU temp. Especially set as exhaust. That of course depends on where exactly you will put them (in comparison with GPU), but generally I would rather use them as intake if you can put them below GPU. Especially if case is big.

Solution
Mar 25, 2022

Since you want to cool GPU with them (if I understood you correctly) that's not the best idea.

Better then above for sure. That said I'm not sure if those 2 80mm fans will do any real difference to GPU temp. Especially set as exhaust. That of course depends on where exactly you will put them (in comparison with GPU), but generally I would rather use them as intake if you can put them below GPU. Especially if case is big.

Thanks for the reply, I should have noted this is an AIO on CPU.

Can you educate me on why use the 80mm as intake? The fans line up with the case vent, which is largely under the GPU. Do the gpu fans actually intake? I thought (possibly incorrectly) that they did exhaust.

As is there is only 1*120 exhaust up too from the AIO.
The 120mm are 2000rpm, the 80s are 2200 I believe.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kg8R5mfRxq5NWzG77

Last edited:
I should have noted this is an AIO on CPU.
So, let's sum up: 2 front 120 intake, AIO on top exhaust, anything on the rear?, and 2 80 side. Correct?
Do the gpu fans actually intake?
Yes. GPU fans intake air onto the radiator, then air goes through it and leaves it on the sides. This is why any sort of exhaust will not really be effective in case of GPU as hot air leaves it at all sides.
Also, if you set up those side fans as exhaust, you will create an air flow that goes directly from front to side - avoiding all components inside. Obviously that would be of no help.
The 120mm are 2000rpm, the 80s are 2200 I believe.
Sounds close enough, but can't guarantee that it would work fine if you connect them together. But like I wrote you can try.

Mar 25, 2022
So, let's sum up: 2 front 120 intake, AIO on top exhaust, anything on the rear?, and 2 80 side. Correct?

Yes. GPU fans intake air onto the radiator, then air goes through it and leaves it on the sides. This is why any sort of exhaust will not really be effective in case of GPU as hot air leaves it at all sides.
Also, if you set up those side fans as exhaust, you will create an air flow that goes directly from front to side - avoiding all components inside. Obviously that would be of no help.

Sounds close enough, but can't guarantee that it would work fine if you connect them together. But like I wrote you can try.

Your sum up is correct, there is no rear fan slot (psu folds in, compact build). So sounds like I should flip the sides to I take but it might not make a big difference as the front intakes are probably sufficient?

I honestly prefer to go AIO on CPU and GPU and custom build, but I worked for Dell for a hot minute and basically paid just over GPU cost for the whole rig, so the price was right and I didn't know cooling would be a bother. Trying to find out if I can get temps where I want without a total transplant to a new case.

Thanks again for your responses 🙏

So sounds like I should flip the sides to I take but it might not make a big difference as the front intakes are probably sufficient?
Yes, flip it. No, it won't make a big difference. Your case do have a lot of intake already.
Trying to find out if I can get temps where I want without a total transplant to a new case.
Well, 3090 are hot. Sometimes you just have to accept that and go on. I don't really see how other case could help here, yours while looking ugly does seems to have quite good airflow.