[SOLVED] Can I mix 2 different ssd's

Jun 11, 2020
I just bought this new ssd it is a v-nand ssd 860 evo sata 6 gb/s samsung 500 gb. My computer currently has 1tb HDD and 512gb ssd. Can i add my new ssd to it without having to do a backup on my storage and can they work together and make my computer process faster

In principle it's not much different than mixing HDD or any storage types. System memory (RAM) or other add-on cards can have weird interactions and sometimes just don't mix well but storage just kind of is (as long as it's working).

It won't slow anything down; if the extra space is taking the place of a spinning hard drive that part will be dramatically sped up. On the other hand I wouldn't expect an improvement in performance. If you need more space for apps or games it can provide a fast place to put it. ff

Combining them as in a RAID config could boost the overall speed but drives of different capacity aren't recommended for that as you wouldn't be able to use the extra space of the larger drive.

Can i change my new one to run my computer instead of my old one so it can have the better one run

Sure. However, the observable difference between SSD is generally little to none. For the most part it's like trying to discern between different CPUs on very light loads - you don't see anything until you start to push the limits. Ordinary desktop usage isn't pushing the limits of SSDs. If you are doing critical work that's highly intensive and demands overall performance that's a different story.