Can I mix 2x2GB ram with 1x4GB ram for a total of 8GB?

MunchABunch

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I've got 2x 2gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz of Kingston ValueRam (model: KVR1333D3N9K2/4G) installed and am planning to add another 4gb of RAM.

However, I can't find the exact same kit of 2x 2gb to buy, so I've got my eyes on 1x 4gb RAM of pretty much the exact same model (KVR1333D3N9/4G). So my question is if that single stick of 4gb will be compatible with my 2x 2gb set up?

Thank you.

Solution
Depending on the mobo, if it's newer can try the 4GB in A1 and the 2GBs in B1 and B2 which would allow you to run dual channel - the newer tech simply looks for total DRAM in each channel for dual, if any excess DRAM that then runs in single (generally called flex mode)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Depending on the mobo, if it's newer can try the 4GB in A1 and the 2GBs in B1 and B2 which would allow you to run dual channel - the newer tech simply looks for total DRAM in each channel for dual, if any excess DRAM that then runs in single (generally called flex mode)

Solution

MunchABunch

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Since I'm not entirely sure if my mobo (AsRock P67 Pro3) can do that, I think I'll just try and look for the same kit of 2x 2gb again. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS