Can I mix a 1x8 stick of RAM with 1x16 or should I buy dual-channel 2x8?

eroscow

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
The RAM currently in my build is a 1x8 stick of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666mhz and I'm wanted to add 16GB more. Would there be a noticeable performance difference?

Solution
It is difficult to impossible to determine the effect on system performance when running mixed single and dual channel memory. This depends on how programs use the memory. You might see a slight drop in frame rates when playing some games, or there might be a slight drop in speed/execution of some applications compared to running dual channel only memory.

If getting another individual 16 GB module later on to accompany the existing 16 GB module (to run the system in full dual channel memory mode), then be prepared to try several of these modules until a compatible combination is found. But, you might be lucky in that the later purchased 16 GB module might be compatible with the existing 16 GB immediately. No guarantees though.

eroscow

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure it does because the max supported memory is 64GB. It's an Asus ROG Strix B-350F motherboard.

eroscow

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

I already have an 8GB stick in there though. Having an 8GB and a 16GB in there won't negatively affect my performance, will it?

Mixing ram is a gamble. It might work and it might not. You mixing different size sticks lowers the chances even more.

jr9

Estimable
Dual channel won't work of the RAM sticks aren't the same size so there would be performance loss. Adding another 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666mhz would be an option although you would have to make sure it is the exact same part number as the RAM you purchased before or there may be issues. Only RAM bought in kits is guaranteed to work together. Recycling RAM is understandable as RAM is very expensive right now.

- Buy 8GB Corsair and run 2x8GB dual channel.

- If 24GB is essential, buy two 8GB Corsair (assuming they are the same part number as yours exactly) and run 3x8GB, with the DIMMS in the matching bank (A1 and B1 for example) will run in dual channel while the 3rd would run in single channel. The 3rd DIMM would be in a slot like A2 or B2 and would only exist if you need that extra 8GB of space.

- Buy a single 16GB DIMM and run it in single channel, generally not ideal.

- Go 2x8GB, maximum safety but high cost. If your RAM was purchased recently you may be able to simply buy another one that matches yours to the part number.

There is no guarantee that the individual memory modules will be compatible with each, even if the memory modules are the same brand and part number.

When wanting dual channel memory operation, it is usually recommended getting a dual channel kit where the two modules have been tested and are guaranteed to be compatible with each other.

Note that dual channel memory operation does not necessarily require that the module capacities be the same in each of the two memory channels.

Assuming two individual memory modules are compatible with each other (due to module characteristics), and with an 8 GB module in one channel, and a 16 GB module in the other channel. The system should run the memory in a combination of single and dual channel modes due to a feature called "Flex Mode". The 8 GB module should run in dual channel mode with 8 GB of the 16 GB module. The remaining 8 GB from the 16 GB module should run in single channel mode.

However, to maximize memory bandwidth and system performance though, ALL memory capacity within each channel should operate in dual channel mode. So could use 2 x 8 GB modules, or 2 x 16 GB modules (from a dual channel kit). Running different capacity memories within each channel and with resulting dual and single channel memory modes operating tends to cause a slight performance drop.

eroscow

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

Well I'm just going to hope they work because I'm an idiot and pulled the trigger way too quickly. I'll probably end up selling the 8GB stick and buying another 16GB stick. Also, how big would to performance penalty be for mixing? If it helps here are links to the 8GB one I own and the 16GB one I ordered.

8GB - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0123ZAQJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
16GB - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B019HVO62A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is difficult to impossible to determine the effect on system performance when running mixed single and dual channel memory. This depends on how programs use the memory. You might see a slight drop in frame rates when playing some games, or there might be a slight drop in speed/execution of some applications compared to running dual channel only memory.

If getting another individual 16 GB module later on to accompany the existing 16 GB module (to run the system in full dual channel memory mode), then be prepared to try several of these modules until a compatible combination is found. But, you might be lucky in that the later purchased 16 GB module might be compatible with the existing 16 GB immediately. No guarantees though.

Solution