[SOLVED] Can I mix a 3600 or 3200 Rams with a 3000 Ram

Jan 20, 2023
Current I have an Adata XPG Gammix d30 3000 Mhz 8gb Cl 16, it's hard to find the same, so shall I go for a G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 Cl 18 or G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 Cl 16.(The 3600 mhz version is really cheap).

Solution
Yes...my mistake, was typo, instability is what I meant to write.

Considering you have a Z370 chipset board, you should be able to drop in a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz sans the DDR4-3000MHz ram kit to get the best out of your platform. Think of ram upgrades like wearing shoes. You can wear two different sized clown shoes to protect your feet, only thing is you're going to look silly doing so.

Lutfij

Titan
Simple answer, don't.

Long answer, you're better off getting the same kit of ram as you're working with now if you want to up the capacity or work with only DDR4-3200MHz or DDR4-3600MHz only. Mixing and matching rams will only lead to instability. If the current ram kit is hard to find, sell them off and pick out the latter kits(3200MHz or 3600MHz) of ram.

What is the make and model of your motherboard and processor?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
Simple answer, don't.

Long answer, you're better off getting the same kit of ram as you're working with now if you want to up the capacity or work with only DDR4-3200MHz or DDR4-3600MHz only. Mixing and matching rams will only lead to stability. If the current ram kit is hard to find, sell them off and pick out the latter kits(3200MHz or 3600MHz) of ram.

What is the make and model of your motherboard and processor?
Z370 with i5 8600K

Current I have an Adata XPG Gammix d30 3000 Mhz 8gb Cl 16, it's hard to find the same, so shall I go for a G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 Cl 18 or G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 Cl 16.(The 3600 mhz version is really cheap).
The 3600 is really cheap because its cl18 which means its slower than your 3000 ram.
If you put them both in all of them would have to run at cl18 so you would make your system slower.

I've done similar in the past with success and without success on random systems I pick up, The problem is with RAM mis matching, it can make anything look like its having issues, just games randomly crashing to even driver crashes and even messing up the operating system, leading you down a rabbit hole. I wouldn't do it unless you have no choice, Stick with a matching set for the best stability and understand the risks involved if you do got that route.

Lutfij

Titan
Yes...my mistake, was typo, instability is what I meant to write.

Considering you have a Z370 chipset board, you should be able to drop in a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz sans the DDR4-3000MHz ram kit to get the best out of your platform. Think of ram upgrades like wearing shoes. You can wear two different sized clown shoes to protect your feet, only thing is you're going to look silly doing so.

Solution