Question Can I mix ram sticks together?

Mar 9, 2019
So I have 2 sticks 8gb Corsair d4 ram 3200 speed. Can I add 2 more sticks of ram to my system of the same brand and same speed of 3200 but 2 sticks of 16gb? To have a total of 4 sticks 2 8gb and 2 16gb. Will that work? Will I run into problems?

I meant 2 sticks of 4 Gb = 8 *

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

You can make any combinations you want. Nothing is stopping you from doing that.

I would recommend using a single kit of memory and not making oddball combinations.

Reactions: Rchow125
As the others have said, it is not guaranteed to work. Mainly because memory vendors like Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston etc. can use different types of memory chips. Say you get two dual channel kits that are identical in model, speed, voltage and primary timings. One could be using Samsung modules and the other Hynix.

Now, it could still work. I have done this before, I had a 4690K build with 8GB of 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, added an additional 16GB of 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro and luckily it worked out of the box.

Reactions: Rchow125
If the same manufacturer, same memory size, speed, timings, voltage are the same and you have an Intel CPU adding 2 more sticks should work.

Just go into the BIOS and set everything related to memory on AUTO, turn off XMP and set voltage to 1.35v

After that you can turn on XMP, leave the timings on AUTO and check to see that your computer functions properly. Lastly, check the required voltage for 4 sticks of RAM and use it. Often using 4 sticks of RAM either requires a timing and or voltage adjustment. Leaving timing on AUTO the BIOS should self adjust to what is required.