[SOLVED] Can I mix RAM with different Cl and different MHz?

Jun 5, 2020
Hello, I have a question. So right now I have 8GB DDR4 2133MHz CL15 DIMM RAM, I'm trying to mix it with 8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL16 DIMM RAM, they are both from the same company (Team Group Elite). My motherboard can support them of course. Will it work ? Thanks.

Solution
Would the seller accept a return if the new ram did not play nice with the old?

If you want 16gb, my usual suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit with specs like your old.
You will have a trouble free 16gb. Then try adding the old.
If it works, fine, you have 24gb.
If it does not then sell the old or keep it as a spare.
Jun 5, 2020
You have the means to answer your own question. Try it.
If it does work, all ram will run at the lower 2133 speed.
I put your odds of success at 90% for an intel motherboard, less for ryzen.

Well actually I don't, That's why I'm asking someone who knows a lot, because I'm considering buying the 8GB RAM. Thanks for the answer, and yes it seems like it would just run at the lower 2133 speed. Oh and, I have an Intel motherboard, so it's decided then.

If you want 16gb, my usual suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit with specs like your old.

Solution
Jun 5, 2020

My motherboard only has 2 slots for RAM, that's unfortunate, and I looked everywhere, didn't find the exact RAM I was looking for. So I decided to go with that 2400MHz CL16 RAM. But yeah, buying a 2 x 8GB RAM kit would probably be the smartest thing to do, and then sell my older RAM. As to "Would the seller accept a return if the new ram did not play nice with the old? ". Yes, if it is in a perfect shape, I can return it. Even If I couldn't, I would've just sold it.