[SOLVED] Can I mix the same brand but different speed. Please help

Jan 4, 2019
I have 2x4gb 2333mhz hyperx fury ram and I want to buy 8gb more,but the only model I can find is the same * but 2666mhz. Will this work if i mix them ?

Solution
i wouldnt.
even if you can run them (board will run same clocks on both),
but its most likely not the same chip and cause trouble.
thats why you can get matched pairs in form of kits.
check om amazon and microcenter to get a matching one, or replace with 2 from a kit.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
i wouldnt.
even if you can run them (board will run same clocks on both),
but its most likely not the same chip and cause trouble.
thats why you can get matched pairs in form of kits.
check om amazon and microcenter to get a matching one, or replace with 2 from a kit.

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Never mix and match ram. At best it works in mixed mode with a decrease in performance and at worst your system won't even boot. Always buy the exact same make and model ram. All CL and CMD numbers much match perfectly and even then it is no guarantee it will work. It is best to buy ram in Dual/quad channel kits as they are tested to work together. Shy of that as mentioned earlier...exact same make and model.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Language, please.

2. This question is asked about a dozen times a day here. The answer does not change.
"Maybe, maybe not"

rjohnson98126

Honorable
Jan 2, 2019
is this why no one answers my question about mixing 2x8 Corsair with 2x4 GSkill? Even if i promise to underclock the Corsair to match the GSkill? Would it help matters that i have a cheapo MSI PC Mate motherboard that has dual memory channel?

rjohnson98126

Honorable
Jan 2, 2019
larvinstudios ... since its the same manufacturer and same "model" but a newer version just with a higher frequency, i think* you could mix them and just underclock the new ram to match the frequency and timings of the older ram.

*think = no evidence or expertise, just me talking and not knowing :D

But do be sure to come back and let us know what happens... Cause then imma try it with two different brands LOL

USAFRet

Titan

Any RAM not sold as a specific set is suspected to not work.
Not matter what you do with it, where it came from, or what board you put it on.

It might work, it might fail. Buy from somewhere with a good return policy.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

No,no, no...no. The difference in frequency can mean they can and likely do use different ram chips so the he'll be in the same boat. All the numbers must match up...CL, CMD, speed, voltage...everything must be identical. And that only increases the odds things work at the rated speeds with out running into mixed mode, it does not guarantee it. only 100% sure-fire way to know ram works at the rated speeds is to buy matching ram kits (ie dual/quad channel kits)

Reactions: fry178

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
even if you buy the same model/get sticks with the same "numbers" (speed/timings/voltage), its still very likely they are using a different chip.
they can switch them from one batch to the next (low stock/lower price etc), so unless you know exactly what is mounted, matching numbers isnt enough.

there are exceptions to the rule. some bigger names usually tend to stick with one type of chip on oced modules, for the full lenght of production (of that model).
so when i got another pair of corsair ddr3 (2x4gb) that had IDENTICAL CHIPS (not just model, but also same chip on it)
and running it on an intel platform (usually a bit less picky on ram), i still got it to work fine, even oced (2133 instead of 1333).

last thing: what you need 16gb for?
nothing short of video/photo editing and the like will make use of it, gaming will not be affected (as consumer boards are only dual, not quad channel),
and swapping for faster modules would make more sense (as you would gain performance), or investing in a bigger gpu (if about gaming).

im getting my rig ready to do stuff in 4K, and recently swapped my 16gb@2133 for 32gb (running at 1866) with a friend,
and it's noticeably that i dropped almost 300MHZ, even that i have more.
os/software feels much laggier than before, especially at higher system load.

long story short, no need for upgrading ram, nor would i do it except absolute identical chips.